1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
FHML-NUTRIM - Junior researcher or post-doctoral researcher for the FNS (Food Nutrition Security) Cloud project M/W 1.0 fte
The Department of Bioinformatics-BiGCaT at Maastricht University, FHML-NUTRIM, the Netherlands, is looking for a junior researcher or post-doctoral researcher (1.0 fte)
- Robert Schumandomein, Maastricht, Limburg
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 40 uur
- € 2709 - € 4274 per maand
The research position is part of the European FNS (Food Nutrition Security)-Cloud project. FNS-Cloud will overcome fragmentation problems by integrating existing FNS data, which is essential for high-end, pan-European FNS research, addressing FNS, diet, health, and consumer behaviors as well as on sustainable agriculture and the bio-economy. Current fragmented FNS resources not only result in knowledge gaps that inhibit public health and agricultural policy, and the food industry from developing effective solutions, making production sustainable and consumption healthier, but also do not enable exploitation of FNS knowledge for the benefit of European citizens.
As a larger context for the work linked to this vacancy, FNS-Cloud will, through three Demonstrators; Agri-Food, Nutrition & Lifestyle and noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) & the Microbiome, facilitate:
(1) Analyses of regional and country-specific differences in diet including nutrition, (epi)genetics, microbiota, consumer behaviours, culture, and lifestyle and their effects on health (obesity, noncommunicable diseases (like diabetes), ethnic and traditional foods), which are essential for public health and agri-food and health policies;
(2) Improved understanding agricultural differences within Europe and what these mean in terms of creating sustainable, resilient food systems for healthy diets; and
(3) Clear definitions of boundaries and how these affect the compositions of foods and consumer choices and, ultimately, personal and public health in the future.
The junior/post-doctoral researcher will be involved in the development and application of advanced methodologies for data preparation, analysis, and visualisation. This includes the following tasks:
● Pre-processing of Food and Nutrition data (quality control, data pre-processing using existing (but possibly amended) workflows, normalization, basic and basics statistics.
● Curation and annotation of Food and Nutrition data (included both capturing of study descriptions and data preparation needed for analysis and integration)
● Integration of FNS data, including (capture) tool and ontology development
● Analysis and visualization of Food and Nutrition data (mostly based on existing tools like PathVisio and Cytoscape, possibly with new plugin development)
● Implementation of Food and Nutrition services (making services available in the cloud, integration in workflows and providing software containers)
In addition, the researcher will be part of the demonstrator study within FNS-Cloud on noncommunicable diseases & the microbiome.
We invite applications from candidates who meet the following requirements:
● A PhD in Bioinformatics or Systems biology or Computer Science (or a closely related field)
● Excellent programming skills or the willingness to acquire them, ideally already applied in a collaborative development environment
● Preferably experience in ontology development and data integration
● An interest in noncommunicable diseases and the microbiome
● Affinity for working in an interdisciplinary and highly international environment
● Willingness to relocate to (the vicinity of) Maastricht
● An outstanding research and publication record
● Fluent command of English, both oral and in writing
● Proven organisational skills and professional behaviour
We offer a three years, 1.0 fte appointment as a junior researcher or post-doctoral researcher starting beginning of 2020. The employment period will be for one year with the perspective of prolongation after evaluation.
Remuneration will be according to Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities in scale 10 with a minimum of € 2.709 and a maximum of € 4.274 gross per month (depending on your experience) for a full-time position of 38 hours/week. On top of this, there is an annual holiday allowance (8% of annual income) and an annual end-of-year bonus (8.3% of annual income).
Applicants from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for the so-called 30% ruling, a tax cut for highly skilled migrants that applies for a maximum of five years. If you are moving to Maastricht from more than 40 kilometers away, you may qualify for a one-time reimbursement of your relocation costs.
Further information about this position will be gladly provided by Dr. Susan LM Coort by email: email@example.com or by telephone: +31-43 3882913.