Tenure- track or tenured faculty positions in Autonomous Discovery Science, Computational Social Science, and AI and Ethics, Law, and Societal Issues (ELSI)
You will be working in a dynamic and vibrant interdisciplinary environment at the Institute of Data Science at Maastricht University.
- Robert Schumandomein, Maastricht, Limburg
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
The Institute of Data Science at Maastricht University invites applications for 3 tenure-track or tenured faculty positions in the areas of autonomous discovery science, computational social science, and AI ethics, law and societal issues.
Ambition: Despite vast and increasing amounts of data on the Web, our ability to find, obtain, understand, and use data by autonomous machine agents in a societal context remains highly limited owing to an interplay of scientific, technical, social, legal, and ethical factors. To address this challenge, the Institute of Data Science at Maastricht University seeks to bring together an outstanding team of collaborative researchers to join existing faculty and staff to pursue highly interdisciplinary applied research in this area. The team will develop externally funded research programs, interdisciplinary educational programming, and be active in broader outreach and community initiatives.
Positions: Within the initiative, three positions have been created as either tenured or tenure track, focusing on three key research areas:
Autonomous discovery science. The aim of the position is to undertake research and development towards an intelligent and autonomous systems to coordinate people and machines in a manner that furthers scientific knowledge. We welcome outstanding candidates with expertise in areas such as, but not limited to, autonomous systems, automated reasoning, collective intelligence, web-scale data mining, argumentation and other logics, explainable AI, deep learning, and life-long learning.
Computational social science. The aim of the position is to develop computational methods to characterize, guide, and enhance digital interactions, particularly with machines. We welcome outstanding candidates with expertise in areas such as, but not limited to, computational social science, social media analysis, human-computer interaction, computational linguistics, and large-scale digital survey methodology.
AI and Ethics, law and societal issues. The aim of this position is to contribute to our ELSI work and team, with a focus on how far AI developments fit with current governance approaches and requirements; how the presumptions about those approaches are challenged by the new developments; how different stakeholder groups and publics view AI developments in different settings, and how they view the governance of AI; what new governance structures might look like; how new governance structures resonate with different publics and regulators. We welcome outstanding candidates with expertise in areas such as, but not limited to, sociology, anthropology, socio-legal studies, cultural studies, anthropology, and public engagement.
- Conduct cutting edge research in the foundation, applications, and/or governance of data science
- Be involved in interdisciplinary research between the Institute of Data Science and other parts of the University
- Develop and secure external funding to support research programme
- Deliver educational programming at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Establish and advocate for best practices in scientific reproducibility of all results, and to promote the responsible use of data.
- A PhD in mathematics, computer science, data science, artificial intelligence, or equivalent; and sociology, anthropology, socio-legal studies, cultural studies, anthropology, public engagement or equivalent for the AI and ELSI position.
- A record of outstanding research as evidenced by publications, grants, software developed, and other scholarly measures of impact
- A record of successful research collaborations
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Strong commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Strong analytical, computational, and quantitative abilities
- Strong critical and qualitative ELSI skills for the AI and ELSI position
- English Fluency
We offer a rewarding career at a young university in the heart of Europe, with a distinct global perspective and a strong focus on innovative research and education.
The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO), supplement with local UM provisions. For more information on terms of employment, please visit our website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > Support > UM employees.
The salary is competitive, depending on qualifications, work experience, the offered position and based on the salary scales of the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch universities. (The caoNU). It is based on a full-time appointment (38 hours/week). On top of this, there is an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end of the year allowance.
We offer an attractive package of fringe benefits such as, reduction on collective health insurance, substantial leave arrangements, parental leave packages, attractive retirement benefits and application for attractive fiscal arrangements for employees from abroad;
·38 hours per week
Tenure track or tenured faculty position
We provide a stimulating, collaborative and interdisciplinary work environment with excellent opportunities for professional and personal development;
Maastricht University has an excellent international reputation, and Maastricht itself is a beautiful, open-minded city located in the center of Western Europe.
Maastricht University is committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. We strongly believe that diversity (including, but not limited to nationality, age and gender) of the staff and student population will increase the quality of UM education & research. Fostering diversity and inclusivity creates an academic community where individual talents thrive, and values and differences are cherished. We strongly encourage you to apply if you are qualified for this position.