Assistant Professor: Computational Modelling in Medical Robotics
The Department of Biomechanical Engineering at the University of Twente invites candidates for an assistant professor position to complement, extend and …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5826 per maand
The Department of Biomechanical Engineering at the University of Twente invites candidates for an assistant professor position to complement, extend and strengthen the department's competence in modeling with applications to haptic interactions with medical robots.
Medical robotics include robots assisting surgeons in the during interventions, bionic prosthesis for amputees, wearable exoskeletons to support workers or individuals with physical disabilities, or companion robots. In our department we have developed such robots and evaluated them in (pre-clinical) trials. In collaboration with industrial leaders we also conduct research with existing commercial medical robots to further improve the technology.
Medical robots interact with their environment in a variety of complex scenarios. The development of computational models to simulate and visualize these interactions is essential for the design and development of robotic systems. In order to model and control these systems, the dynamic behaviour must be well-understood and implemented in fast and accurate simulation models. The models can be subsequently applied to learning algorithms or simulators to render the physics in real-time for realistic haptic interaction.
We are looking for a promising female Assistant Professor who will be working on diverse projects in the area of computational modelling with applications to medical robots. The position is funded by a national program that strives for more female professors in engineering.
Candidates should have a successful scientific track record and be able to formulate an independent research program addressing current scientific and technological challenges. We are looking for a team player who proactively searches for collaboration within the faculty and within the cross faculty Twente Robotics Centre.
The candidate is expected to participate in the teaching of courses offered by the department at Bachelor and at Master level to the educational programs technical medicine, industrial design, mechanical engineering, biomedical technology and a new master program Robotics.
- PhD degree and expertise in a field relevant for the position.
- Passion for teaching and you hold a University Teaching Qualification for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this.
- Ability to supervise, train, and support junior researchers.
- Ability to define and pursue an own research direction, evidenced by the track record and recommendations.
- Ability to design and deliver clear and engaging education.
- Ability to collaborate in research, educational and organizational projects.
- Proficient in written and oral English.
- Proficient in written and oral Dutch or willing to learn Dutch to interact with students in Dutch.
- Interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Experience in writing research proposals and obtaining external funding.
ConditionsWe offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment with an attractive campus and lots of facilities for sports and leisure. The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
We offer a position with a generous allowance:
- A fulltime position for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation;
- A gross salary between € 3.746,- and € 5.826,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications, a 30% tax ruling option and solid pension scheme;
- Additional benefits include a solid pension scheme, holiday allowance of 8 % of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %.
- A minimum of 29 holidays.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- Well-equipped labs with professional lab technicians, like the Neuromechanics, Surgical Robotics and Wearable Robotics Labs.
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
- A start-up package that includes funding for the recruitment of 1 PhD that can help in kickstarting your research;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid) and career support for partners.
- If you do not speak Dutch, we offer courses to learn the Dutch language.
Additional informationAn executive search exercise is being undertaken by Dutchwebshark to assist the recruitment committee. For informal enquiries and questions about this post please contact Ian Hoefnagels, email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please submit your application before October 10th 2021 using the Apply now button (below).
Please note that this vacancy is only open to female scientists. This is part of the University of Twente's strategy to increase the proportion of women among its faculty and to create a working environment that is diverse and inclusive and supportive of excellence in research and teaching.