Assistant Professor in Digitalized sustainable energy (Social science) M/F
We seek a self-standing social scientist in the field of Digitalized sustainable energy. A scientist who would like to cooperate within our future oriented …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5826 per maand
We seek a self-standing social scientist in the field of Digitalized sustainable energy. A scientist who would like to cooperate within our future oriented platform ‘Strategic Intelligence for Digitalization of Societal Domains’ (SI4DS), which has five scholars at the core. Applicants are encouraged to link up with the SI4DS profile of:
Digitalized sustainable energy
The focus is the current double transition towards digitalized renewable energy. Renewable energy systems and digitalization both come with impacts on the alignment of actors in the energy value chain. New business opportunities emerge, driven by more decentralized, smart or virtual grids and digital sustainable energy platforms. Some actors in energy systems will gain, others will lose, the concept of energy poverty is reintroduced, a new flexible actor might arise: the prosumer. Production, grid connection, storage and markets all require elaboration, assessment and design in an increasingly data-intensive and pluralistic energy transition. Crafting appropriate regulations and governance arrangements is important.
The research strategy builds upon legal, economic and governance analysis in a socio-technological system approach, combined with interactive design, scenario’s, (policy) implementation strategies and strategic niche marketing.
The SI4DS Platform
As part of the SI4DS team you will shape the new platform through research and teaching on digitalization in the energy domain. Your work will support society to anticipate impacts of digitalization and develop responsible innovations. This will also require interaction with societal partners. Rethinking digitalization for societal and individual well-being will draw on qualitative and quantitative data and analysis.
The key job responsibilities include:
- Research: contribute to further developing the research lines. Key activities are co-acquisition and co-execution of research projects, , producing high quality journal publications, and securing (inter)national scholarly visibility.
- Education: teaching at different levels; supervise BSc and MSc thesis projects.
- Valorization: engage with relevant partner organizations across government, NGOs and private sector.
- Organization: contribute to the SI4DS platform and to activities and committees within the TPS cluster and the broader Faculty.
You are a highly motivated and qualified academic who has an ambition to combine innovative teaching, groundbreaking research with intelligence for policymaking in the area relevant to the position. Furthermore you are prepared to work with social scientists, humanities, engineers, societal partners, industry and policy makers. You will educate social science students and students in engineering programs.
Some other criteria that foster success:
- A relevant PhD degree;
- A track record in interdisciplinary research and teaching, with a keen interest in relating social science to natural and engineering science innovations;
- In-depth knowledge, skills and experience of and in quantitative and/or qualitative methodologies within social sciences appropriate for the profile;
- High quality research is validated by your publication record in peer-review journals;
- International research experience and experience as a post-doctoral researcher;
- Possession of a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) certificate, or are willing to acquire the latter, and have a real passion for, and the ambition to become a creative and effective teacher;
- Experience in acquiring grants will strengthen your application;
- You have very good communication and presentation skills, and an excellent command of English, at least at C2 level.
We encourage a supportive and inclusive working culture. Our aim is that all job applicants are given equal opportunities. When we select candidates for employment, we take their aptitude and ability into account. To support the workforce diversity, we are open to offer flexible working conditions on an individual basis to support work-life balance, that may include contract of employment, working hours and location, or child care arrangements.
We offer an attractive career opportunity. You will be appointed as an Assistant Professor (0,8-1,0 FTE) for 4 years, after which your position can become permanent, subject to a successful evaluation. By starting your career at UT, you will have the opportunity to develop as an internationally acknowledged and recognized academic. An employment at the UT entitles you to:
- The starting salary ranges between € 3.746,- to € 5.826,- gross per month based on your experience;
- Generous social security package, including minimum of 29 holidays per year; a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary; a year-end bonus of 8.3%; a proven pension scheme and possibilities to save up for a sabbatical leave;
- Professional and personal improvement programs, including mentoring; the UT also provides support with preparing VENI/VIDI and ERC proposals;
- UT offers an attractive benefits package, including a reduced rate for health insurance and access to sports facilities at work.