Assistant professor in Philosophy (any area) with a focus on technology and society M/F
The section of Philosophy (PHIL) of the Department of Technology, Policy and Society (TPS) at the University of Twente (UT) is seeking an assistant professor …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5826 per maand
The section of Philosophy (PHIL) of the Department of Technology, Policy and Society (TPS) at the University of Twente (UT) is seeking an assistant professor in Philosophy (any area) with a focus on technology and society.
You will be teaching Philosophy (of Technology) for engineers, designers, and scientists in UTs bachelor programmes. We expect candidates to closely collaborate with various educational programmes and to contribute to developing innovative student-driven education with builds on problem and challenged based approaches. You may also teach courses within your specialization area in the master programme in Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society (PSTS) and become involved in the supervision of masters theses in the PSTS programme. Excellent teaching qualifications are key for this position. Experience in teaching for business and public administration programmes is a plus.
You are envisaged to develop a coherent research line oriented towards one or more technologies and their role in society. We expect candidates to publish in international refereed journals, present at conferences, apply for external funding and engage in international and interdisciplinary collaboration and in outreach activities. Your research will be embedded in the research programme in philosophy and ethics of technology of the department of philosophy and in university-wide multidisciplinary centres in such as those in digital technologies, medical technology, nanotechnology, and in humanities and social sciences research programmes such as those in the assessment of emerging technologies, health, resilience, learning and smart industry. If there is a fit, you can also participate in the interuniversity 4TU.Center for Ethics and Technology (www.ethicsandtechnology.eu).
The initial division of tasks is 40% research and 60% teaching in the first year. After one year, the basic research allocation will decrease to 30% but could be increased through grant acquisition.
Also, if you are interested in a teaching career, you are warmly encouraged to apply. For this direction, there is the possibility to offer a position with perspective on tenure. The alternative ratio research (into education)-teaching can then be discussed with you.
- A PhD in philosophy (any area of specialization)
- A focus on technology and its role in society in past research or a demonstrable interest in focusing on technology for your future research. The focus could be on any technology/technologies. We are particular interested in technologies with relevance for business and public administration.
- Experience in teaching at the university level, preferably including students in science & engineering, social science, or other non-philosophical fields
- Demonstrable didactic skills in teaching, good evaluations, and a passion for teaching
- An ability and willingness to teach in areas of philosophy outside your philosophical specialization
- Willingness and ability to engage in multidisciplinary collaborations with researchers and educators from non-philosophical fields
- An excellent list of publications in peer-refereed journals
- Relevant international experience
- An excellent command of the English language. All master programs and most bachelor programs are taught in English, and English is the official language of the university.
ConditionsWe offer an appointment as assistant professor (full-time) for four years fixed-term.
The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- Starting salary between € 3.746 to € 5.826 gross per month based on your experience;
- An additional holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% (adding up to an annual gross salary of € 50,758 - € 78,935)
- A solid pension scheme;
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
- International applicants are likely to qualify for a low 30% tax regime for the first five years of their appointment.
Additional informationFor more information, please contact Prof. dr. Ciano Aydin (email@example.com chair of the Section) or Dr. Michael Nagenborg (firstname.lastname@example.org programme director PSTS).
Your application should include a CV (which should include the title of your dissertation), a letter of application (including a brief summary of your teaching evaluations), a writing sample, and contact information for 2 or more references and should be sent no later than August 13, 2021. Applications should be uploaded via www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en (click twice to find vacancy). Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed. Interviews will take place in August.