1 dag geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
Assistant Professor Systems Engineering
Bridges, roads, canals, and other civil engineering systems are vital for the functioning of societies and economies. Societies expect flawless operation and …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3111 - € 4757 per maand
Bridges, roads, canals, and other civil engineering systems are vital for the functioning of societies and economies. Societies expect flawless operation and functional continuity of these civil engineering systems in an environment that is diverse, interconnected and constantly changing. This puts tremendous pressure on the design process, and on the construction and maintenance of infrastructures. In particular when social developments are taken into consideration, such as smart cities, resilience, and circular economies. One of the comprehensive approaches to deal with these complexities is Systems Engineering. Systems Engineering is increasingly seen as an effective methodology to design, build and maintain civil engineering systems. Several clients prescribe the methodology in their engineering projects. As a Civil Engineering department, we sense a growing need for research and education on Systems Engineering in the civil engineering industry. Therefore, we are looking for an assistant professor of Systems Engineering within our group Construction Management & Engineering (CM&E).The challenge
Teaching: As assistant professor you will contribute to System Engineering courses in our Bachelor, Master and Professional Doctorates in Engineering programs. You will also supervise BSc- and MSc-thesis projects. The total teaching load will be about 50%. If you are not yet formally qualified for teaching at universities, we offer a program and mentoring to obtain this qualification within 2 years (University Teaching Qualification, UTQ).
Research: We expect you to work as an independent researcher and as a team member. You are able to identify the academic questions related to Systems Engineering and to build bridges between academic research and Systems Engineering practice. Moreover, you have experience in publishing research results in high quality international refereed journals. You also have a positive attitude towards building networks and attracting external funding (national science foundation, EU, government and industry) for junior researchers (PhD and PDEng positions), of whom you will become the daily supervisor.
- You hold a PhD in a field relevant to Systems Engineering or Civil Engineering
- You have a track record in Systems Engineering and Civil Engineering and / or construction management research with preferably strong publication record;
- You are a passionate academic and experienced teacher in higher education or striving to become so;
- You are able to build great relationships with colleagues and practice and operate at the crossroads of disciplines;
- You have good mentoring skills to supervise BSc, MSc, PDEng and PhD projects;
- Your communication skills are excellent;
Are you up for the challenge to improve the world with your research as well as teaching on this state of the art technology?
Information and application
Interested candidates can upload their application, including a motivation letter, CV and a full publication list before 31 March 2018 using the link below (max. 3 documents).
You will be appointed for two years, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- Starting salary between € 3.111 to € 4.757 gross per month based on your experience;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: MIRA, CTIT, SBE and IGS.