Full Professor of Biomedical Device Design and Production Technology
The Faculty of Engineering Technology at the University of Twente is currently seeking to appoint a full professor in the area of biomedical device design and …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 5749 - € 8371 per maand
The Faculty of Engineering Technology at the University of Twente is currently seeking to appoint a full professor in the area of biomedical device design and production technology. The position contributes to research and education in the Department of Biomechanical Engineering and the TechMed Center.
In realising the universitys motivation to link hi-tech to human touch, biomedical engineering plays an important role as it links engineering research and education to the areas of medicine and healthcare. The research chair will strengthen the department's research profile by incorporating novel production methodologies and translating research on medical device design into products.
The department is looking for a promising and passionate professor who will be working on diverse technologies in design and production of medical products requiring advanced biomedical engineering expertise as well as an understanding of clinical applications, business considerations, and regulatory aspects of the medical field. The professor is expected to have a strong background in biomedical design and production or related fields, have an international track record in research, and be a motivated and experienced teacher.
The department seeks candidates who will initiate an independent and creative research programme and who will bridge several parts of the Department of Biomechanical Engineering: from Tissue Engineering, Computational Biomechanics, Biomechatronics, Surgical Robotics, Soft Robotics, Engineering Artificial Organs, Biomechanical Implants, and Rehabilitation Technology. The successful candidate will play a key role in strengthening collaboration between the department and other research units at the university as well as with established industries and start-ups.
The successful candidate will be involved in existing core undergraduate and graduate courses as well as new innovative courses. They will supervise doctoral students and contribute significantly to knowledge transfer in the broad field of biomedical engineering. In more detail, educational contributions are expected in the field of design of medical devices covering design methodologies, documentation complying with the approval process of medical devices, risk analysis, usability, design verification and validation, and in the field of production technologies for medical devices (e.g. additive manufacturing, clean room production, etc.).
The successful appointee is expected to:
- Have a doctoral degree and expertise in a relevant field;
- Have a passion for teaching and for developing inspiring and engaging education (you hold a University Teaching Qualification for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this);
- Be an excellent and inspiring mentor and coach to junior researchers;
- Demonstrate the ability to define and pursue an own research line, evidenced by an outstanding publication record and a proven track of attracting external funding;
- Have strong communication, organisation, and interpersonal skills focused on inspiring co-workers to achieve excellence;
- Have a strong proficiency in English and a willingness and capacity to learn Dutch to lecture and interact with students in Dutch.
ConditionsThe university offers a dynamic ecosystem with passionate colleagues in which internationalisation is an important part of the strategic agenda.
We offer you:
- A full-time tenured position as full professor with a gross salary between € 5.749 and € 8.371 per month (depending on experience and qualifications), a 30% tax ruling option and solid pension scheme;
- Excellent research facilities and the possibility to work with clinical departments;
- An international work environment;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8,3%;
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of fulltime employment, and possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- Professional and personal development programmes;
- A family-friendly institution, offering support for (the careers of) partners and family.
Additional informationAn executive search exercise is being undertaken by Perrett Laver to assist the recruitment committee. Applications should consist of a covering letter explaining motivation and qualifications for the position and a full curriculum vitae, including a list of publications.
Perrett Laver may be contacted for informal enquiries and questions about the post on +31 (0)20 240 4374 or Lisbeth.VanCauwenberghe@perrettlaver.com. Applications can be uploaded at www.perrettlaver.com/candidates, quoting reference number 5170. The closing date for applications is 9 am CET on Friday 10th September 2021.
Applications will be considered by the recruitment committee and preliminarily shortlisted candidates will subsequently be invited for informal conversations with the University, after which a formal shortlist of candidates will be invited for interview and campus visits. Selection of and negotiations with the preferred candidate will take place thereafter.
University of Twente especially encourages women applicants. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to a female candidate.