Hypatia chair: full Professor in Applied Mechanics and Data Analysis
This program is only open for excellent female scientists at the level of full Professor.As a Professor of Applied Mechanics at the UT, you will develop a …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
This program is only open for excellent female scientists at the level of full Professor.
As a Professor of Applied Mechanics at the UT, you will develop a leading role in initiating, coordinating and executing novel scientific data analysis methods and approaches in the field of applied mechanics. Together with the other Professors of our department of Mechanics of Solids, Surfaces and Systems (MS3), you will be responsible for managing the department.
- Your research topic is within the field of applied mechanics with affinity towards data analysis that fits within the department of MS3 of the faculty of Engineering Technology.
- You are, demonstrable, an excellent researcher and you have a clear vision on future development of the field.
- You are a dedicated professional, ready and capable to create links between your own research area, the different chairs within the department of MS3 and the multi-disciplinary context at the University of Twente.
- You have a passion for teaching and for developing education that foster student-learning.
- You are enthusiastic about playing an active role in supervising BSc, MSc, PDEng and PhD students.
- You hold a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) for Dutch Universities (or you are willing to obtain this in the first years of your assignment) and you are eager to innovate your education and develop your teaching competences continuously.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and your managerial skills make a difference.
- Your communication skills in English are excellent.
- To improve the representation of women in senior academic positions, the University of Twente introduced the Hypatia programme www.utwente.nl/go/fullprofessor-hypatia. This program aims at excellent female scientist at the level of full Professor. Female scientists are invited to apply for the position as such but within the frame of one of the faculty-research themes more specifically.
- We offer you a full time tenured position as professor with a competitive salary and excellent benefits
- We offer you an international work environment, with colleagues from many different countries all over the world.
- Employment conditions;
- excellent research facilities;
- extra's such as an 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
- a solid pension scheme;
- possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- professional and personal development programs;
- a family friendly institution, offering support for dual hiring
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University.
Faculty of Engineering Technology: working with industry and the public sector to conduct relevant applicable research
Our scientists are recognized worldwide for their high quality and innovative research and teaching qualities. They develop knowledge to find answers for inter-disciplinary and societally relevant problems by means of an engineering and entrepreneurial attitude. The research objectives of the faculty are to generate fundamental knowledge, to translate this knowledge into solutions for multidisciplinary technical problems and to disseminate this knowledge to our students and to the professional field. Within this context, the faculty focuses on the integrated value chain. The industrial and societal relevance of the research is secured by close collaboration with industry and the public sector.
In our education we aim to educate the engineers of the future to become T-shaped professionals who are able to acquire new knowledge themselves, able to apply this knowledge in a meaningful way and able to create innovative solutions for the new and complex challenges of industry and society. We do this through student-driven learning and project-led education, and by training students in the three different roles that they can adopt, i.e. Researcher, Designer or Organizer.
Department of Mechanics of Solids, Surfaces and Systems (MS3): Manufacturing the Future
Working with globally leading research and technology institutes – such as the ThermoPlastic composites Research Center and the Fraunhofer Project Center - the mission of MS3 is Manufacturing the Future. MS3 develops the technology for future manufacturing processes and new products by a science based engineering approach focused on material and system behavior, combined with robust optimization. “Creating new and better materials and products as well as the machinery required to make these products” is the focus of the MS3 department. This requires a profound scientific understanding of the materials and their interactions throughout the complete life cycle: during production, during use and after service life. The mechanics of materials and systems, for small and large deformations, in quasi-static and dynamic conditions, provide the background for our operations.
Based on our mission and focus, the research themes defined within MS3 are:
- Material behaviour
- System behaviour
- Robust optimization
New sensing technologies enable detailed monitoring of manufacturing processes and products during prolonged periods of time. This results in massive amounts of data that need to be analyzed efficiently. Good understanding of the underlying physics, i.e. applied mechanics in particular, provides the best basis in this context. Current research within MS3 uses the results of these data analyses for e.g. the design & control of the manufacturing process or to schedule condition based maintenance.
High Tech Human Touch
At the University of Twente, we believe technology and people have a leading role to play in providing solutions for today’s complex and often global societal challenges. Central to our vision is our High Tech Human Touch philosophy, in which we fuse natural sciences, data science, biology and engineering with social and behavioural sciences, while maintaining a relentless focus on societal impact in five key areas:
- Improving healthcare by personalized technologies
- Creating intelligent manufacturing systems
- Shaping our world with smart materials
- Engineering our digital society
- Engineering for a resilient world
University of diversity
At the UT, we embrace and encourage diversity along many different axes. We work hard to improve diversity, inclusion and equity within the campus community. Our constant aim is to create an inclusive community with an open and supportive environment for research, education and valorisation.
Interested? Apply online with our application form below before 15th October. The first selection of candidates will take place in November.
For more information, please contact:
- Prof. dr. Geert Dewulf Dean ET +31534892581 or email@example.com
- Prof. dr. ir. Bart Koopman tel:+31534892465 or firstname.lastname@example.org