Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
The scientific computing and numerical analysis group in the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Twente (UT, in the Netherlands) has a …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The scientific computing and numerical analysis group in the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Twente (UT, in the Netherlands) has a vacancy for a Ph.D. student. The position is within the research project “Comprehensive monitoring and prediction of seismicity within the Groningen gas field using large scale field observations“ within the research program DeepNL. The goal of this interdisciplinary project is to monitor the seismicity and other changes in the subsurface with tools based on machine learning, model order reduction, and supercomputing. In the context of the advertised PhD position we aim at building reduced order models that speed up the computations of elastic wave equations simulated when estimating the structure in the surfaces and when training neural networks. The key idea of reduced order modelling is to build a low-dimensional subspace of the high-dimensional say finite element or spectral element discretization and then solve the partial differential equation in that low-dimensional subspace. The mathematical challenges in this project come from the facts that for the underlying high-dimensional spectral element discretization we need to consider several millions of elements and that finding good reduced spaces is not straightforward for the elastic wave equation.
- You are a highly motivated and enthusiastic researcher;
- You have a M.Sc. degree in mathematics with solid background in scientific computing, numerical analysis, and partial differential equations;
- You have good team spirit and multidisciplinary curiosity, and like to work in an internationally oriented environment where many cultures meet;
- Your English proficiency is at least level B2 (CEF).
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please send your application before October 6, 2019 via the "apply now" button and include:
- a CV (resume);
- an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education.
The intended starting date for the position is as soon as possible but no later than February 2020. For more information please contact Kathrin Smetana (email@example.com).
We offer an interesting temporary research position in a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high societal relevance. The UT offers excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment and a green and lively campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community.
- You will be appointed on a fulltime PhD position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year.
- You will have a full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits.
- Your salary will range from EUR 2.325,- (1st year) to EUR 2.972,- (4th year) per month, plus holiday allowance (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8.3%).
- You can make use of excellent facilities for professional and personal development.
- You will receive good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labor agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.