Ongeveer 18 uur geleden - Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) - Amsterdam
PhD Candidate Global biodiversity variables for monitoring Ecosystem Structure and Function
The aim of this PhD project is to generate globally applicable biodiversity variables for monitoring Ecosystem Structure and Function (as defined by Pereira …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The aim of this PhD project is to generate globally applicable biodiversity variables for monitoring Ecosystem Structure and Function (as defined by Pereira et al. (2013) and Skidmore et al. (2015)) from satellite and airborne remotely sensed data sets. In combination with the supervisor, you will develop innovative image processing techniques for estimating ecosystem structural and functional biodiversity variables with an emphasis on monitoring old growth forests, using airborne and satellite remotely sensed, as well as in situ and ancillary data. Next generation satellite remote sensing imagery (hyperspectral and LiDAR) will be the focus of the research, coupled with high resolution archived time series optical imagery. The biodiversity variables will be tested for their relevance for monitoring species presence and abundance. The research will result in a PhD thesis.
For more info:
Skidmore, A.K. Pettorelli, N., et al., 2015. Agree on biodiversity metrics to track from space. Nature 523 (2015)7561 pp. 403-405.
Pereira, H.M., Ferrier, S., et al., 2013. Essential biodiversity variables. Science 339:277-278
- You are a MSc-level graduate in geo-information science, remote sensing or computer science with a background and knowledge of natural resources (biology, forestry, environment, geography, agriculture, soil science, water resources, etc.)
- You have an excellent command of English (above IELTS 7.5 or equivalent).
- You have experience in time series optical, hyperspectral and LiDAR imagery
- Programming skills (preferably Python, IDL/ENVI, MATLAB and/or R) are highly desirable.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please submit your application before 15 March 2019 (choose “apply now” below). Your application must include:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivations to apply for this position;
- a full Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained;
- a short description (maximum 1 page A4) of your MSc research.
We offer you an inspiring multidisciplinary and challenging international and academic environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
You will be fulltime employed for a period of 4 years. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO-NU) of the Dutch Universities.
- A starting salary of € 2.325 in the first year and a salary of € 2.972 in the fourth year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- Cost for moving to Enschede may be reimbursed.