PhD position "Computational Modeling of Flow and Particles Transport in the Liver"
PhD research project Each year, over 1.5 million people worldwide develop primary or secondary (metastatic) liver cancer. Liver tumors are characterised by …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
PhD research project
Each year, over 1.5 million people worldwide develop primary or secondary (metastatic) liver cancer. Liver tumors are characterised by their limited treatment options and the relatively high 1-year mortality. Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT), also called radioembolization, is a treatment option for patients suffering from liver tumors that do not benefit from conventional therapy such as surgery or chemotherapy. During the treatment, radioactive microspheres are injected into the liver artery that supplies the tumor, where they lodge in and around the tumor and deliver a high local radiation dose. A crucial aspect to obtain an optimal treatment result is an effective distribution of the microspheres in the vascular network of the liver.
Computational modeling has evolved as a useful tool that can help in understanding optimal distribution of microspheres, among other aspects. In this project, funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) we will develop a particle transport model within the lattice Boltzmann framework Musubi to study the optimal microsphere distribution using simulations on high performance supercomputers. The PhD candidate will actively collaborate with two other PhD students in this project involved in experimental and clinical aspects. Collaboration and exchange with hospitals like the Radboud University Medical Center, Nijmegen, the Multi-Modality Medical Imaging group and Physics of Fluids group at the University of Twente will form regular part of the activities of the PhD candidate. The project description can be found under: https://www.radboudumc.nl/en/news/2020/research-on-improved-irradiation-of-liver-tumors-from-within
You will be positioned in the Engineering Fluid Dynamics group of the University of Twente, and you will be a part of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team. The main advisor of your project will be Assistant Professor Dr. Kartik Jain (https://jainka.github.io). You will collaborate with the group of Associate Professor Dr. Frank Nijsen at the department of Medical Imaging, RadboudUMC in Nijmegen and Assistant Professor Dr. Erik Groot Jebbink at the University of Twente.
- Development and validation of the computational and mathematical model
- Carry out simulations to study distribution of microspheres in the liver vasculature
- Collaborate with other scientists in the project consortium
- Analyse scientific data
- Publish papers in scientific journals and participation in international meeting
You first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.
- You hold a master’s degree in physics or mechanical engineering with a strong background in fluid dynamics.
- You have experience in programming and preferably high performance computing.
- You are excited by the idea of impacting patient’s lives using engineering.
- You are fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- You envision yourself working in an interdisciplinary and international environment.
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a 4 year fulltime position
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industry.
- A starting salary of € 2.395 gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.061 gross per month in the fourth year.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature