We are looking for a talented PhD candidate that is willing to fabricate, characterize and measure the performance of nano- and micro-scale pioneer thermal …
PhD position Control of Laser-based Large Scale Additive Manufacturing
The project “Additive Manufacturing for Extra Large Metal Components” (AiM2XL) aims at the production of large-scale (~1 to >10 m) additively manufactured …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2266 - € 2897 per maand
The project “Additive Manufacturing for Extra Large Metal Components” (AiM2XL) aims at the production of large-scale (~1 to >10 m) additively manufactured metallic components for maritime applications. To accomplish this, you will develop sensing techniques as well as actuators in order to reliably manufacture of such products using a high power laser source.
- You will develop thermographic & spectrometric sensing techniques in order to correlate measured quantities to microstructure of the part being produced;
- You will develop methods (based on physical models) for real-time shaping of the intensity profile in order to optimize the heat input during laser processing;
- You will develop a real-time controller, based on the sensors and beam shaping concepts;
- You will closely collaborate with your research-team colleagues at University of Twente, at the universities in Delft, Eindhoven and Groningen, as well as with the consortium of industrial partners;
- You will mentor BSc and MSc students, who do graduation projects in support of your research;
- You will finish your research with a PhD thesis.
- You hold a MSc degree in photonics, mechanical engineering, applied physics, or a closely related discipline;
- You have good knowledge/demonstrated awareness of fundamental aspects of laser-material processing. Experience in high power laser-material processing, such as laser cladding, are desirable;
- You are aware of analysis technologies/techniques such as SEM, EDX, AFM, Raman spectroscopy, FV, optical microscopy, etc;
- You have a strong analytical mind and an eye for detail, as well as a critical attitude towards assessment of experimental results;
- You like to present your results to colleagues, industrial partners and at international conferences;
- You are fluent in English and express yourself easily both in speech and in writing. We require a TOEFL > 90 or IELTS > 6.5 score.
Information and application
For information, please contact prof.dr.ir. Gert-willem Römer firstname.lastname@example.org) or point your browser to https://www.utwente.nl/en/et/ms3/research-chairs/lp/
The start of the project is as soon as possible. We also invite applications from candidates, who expect to graduate soon. Your application should be submitted before 8-8-2018.
Please send the following documents through the link below:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- List with grades of courses attended
- References and, if applicable, a list of publications.
We offer a very challenging fulltime position for four years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities;
- You will be given the opportunity to acquire teaching experience;
- You are offered a professional and personal development program within Graduate School Twente;
- A starting salary of € 2.266 in the first year and a salary of € 2.897 in the fourth year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment.