PhD position Haptic User Perception
The EU H2020 project WEAFING will develop innovative garments with integrated textile actuators, sensors, and electronics for haptic stimulation based on …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The EU H2020 project WEAFING will develop innovative garments with integrated textile actuators, sensors, and electronics for haptic stimulation based on electroactive polymer threads. We will advance the technology of electroactive fabrics resulting in lightweight and flexible textile actuators. Integration of the actuators in wearables takes into account different textile morphologies, soft mechatronics, and human perception and information processing. The garments developed will have a high level of wearability as the actuator is the garment itself and the technology is silent.
This technology provides mechanical stimulation (i.e. haptic stimuli) that are unprecedented by current haptic technology and may impact many aspects of our lives. WEAFING will explore several use cases like navigation for firefighters and visually impaired users and social communication at a distance (remote hug).
As PhD student you will work closely together with other experts in the project and have a strong focus on the end user. Relevant questions include: what stimuli can you feel and do they feel? How can these unique haptic stimuli present information needed for a specific use case? How should the garment and the stimuli be designed to optimize user acceptance and performance? To answer these questions you apply the following skills:
- Psychophysics to explore human perception for the specific mechanical stimuli.
- Human centered design and programming to determine the user needs and design and implement the appropriate haptic information cues.
- Human Factors research to design and analyse evaluation studies with end-users.
- You have a master degree in Computer Science, Cognitive Psychology or any other topic related to human perception and human-computer interaction, relevant expertise in the area of touch, and experience with human participants experiments.
- You are a good collaborator who is able to combine and extend current knowledge and know-how and work in a multidisciplinary and international team.
- You have an excellent command of English.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For more information please contact Dr. Angelika Mader, email@example.com. Please submit your application before 31 March 2019. Your application must include:
- A statement of your interest and vision, and
- Contact information for two or more references.
ArbeidsvoorwaardenWe offer a very challenging fulltime position for four years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment. In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) the gross monthly salary ranges from € 2325,- in the first year to € 2972,- in the fourth year. Additionally, the University of Twente provides excellent facilities for professional and personal development, a holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus, and a number of additional benefits.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature