Ongeveer 14 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD position: Interaction between large scale wind farms
Are you fascinated by physics and the application of state-of-the-art fluid dynamics computer simulations to real world problems? Are you curious about the …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2840 - € 2840 per maand
Are you fascinated by physics and the application of state-of-the-art fluid dynamics computer simulations to real world problems? Are you curious about the potential applications of wind energy? Are you ambitious and dynamic? Do you strive for excellence? We are looking for a PhD student to carry out state-of-the-art research on wind farm dynamics. Wind turbines interact with the environment over a wide range of length scales ranging from millimeters (viscous scales) and meters (wakes and tip vortices) up to kilometers (wind farms). This large separation of scales makes analysis and design of wind farms very challenging. However, a detailed understanding of the relevant physics is essential for efficient wind farm designs that fully harness the huge potential of wind energy. High-fidelity numerical simulations are an ideal tool to enhance our fundamental insight into the performance of wind farms. Simulations allow us to visualize the flow in wind farms and study important physical effects under controlled and reproducible conditions. In this PhD project you will further develop and use state-of-the-art large eddy simulations to study the interaction between different wind farms. You will use the insight obtained from these high-fidelity simulations to develop physics-based analytical models that describe the performance of wind farm clusters.
You have a background in applied physics or mechanical engineering, or in a closely related discipline. You have strong communication skills, including fluency in written and spoken English. You are enthusiastic, and highly motivated to do a PhD. Programming experience in C or Fortran is a plus.
We want you to play a key role in an ambitious project in an inspiring and stimulating international work environment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will have an employment contract for the duration of 4 years and can participate in all employee benefits the UT offers.
- Additionally, the UT is a green campus with excellent facilities and resources for professional and personal development.
- You will follow a high-quality personalized educational program.
- The research will result in a PhD thesis at the end of the employment period.
- We strive for diversity and fairness in hiring.
How to apply
Potential applicants are encouraged to apply to Dr. Richard Stevens (email@example.com).
Applications should include the following documents:
- A motivation letter describing why you want to apply for this position
- Description of your research interests.
- A detailed CV.
- Academic transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
- Email addresses of at least two references who are willing to send a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- An interview with a scientific presentation will be part of the interview process.