PhD position on Design & Analysis of Massive MIMO Antennas for the mmW
The candidate will be devoted to develop low cost, miniaturized and highly efficient mmW massive MIMO array antenna prototypes. Moreover, the candidate will …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2222 - € 2840 per maand
The candidate will be devoted to develop low cost, miniaturized and highly efficient mmW massive MIMO array antenna prototypes. Moreover, the candidate will develop an all-inclusive characterization approach of massive MIMO antennas at component and system levels. With a strong cooperation of academic and industrial partners, collaborating in a comprehensive research program, we aim for developing new multiple antenna systems with focus on system performance. The project also aims at acquiring a better understanding of multiple antenna systems interactions with the wireless propagation channel.
The vacancy is part of the WAVECOMBE EID project (https://wavecombe.eu/) funded by the H2020-MSCA-ITN-2017-766231 grant. The WAVECOMBE consortium is comprised, in addition to the University of Twente (UT), by Gapwaves, Ranplan and Televic as industrial partners and University of Sheffield (USFD), Durham University (DURHAM) and Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) as academic partners.
We are seeking a highly motivated person with an excellent background and an M.Sc. degree, or equivalent, in electrical engineering, applied physics, applied mathematics, or closely related areas.
We value your extensive experience in the following areas:
- Array antenna theory and design principles.
- Antenna measurements and equipment.
- Scientific and engineering software tools like CST, Matlab, etc.
You enjoy communicating your work verbally and in writing. You enjoy working as part of a team, and are yet capable of working independently. You are curiosity-driven, but you are committed to deliver by hard deadlines too. Your involvement in the team inspires progress and you have clear scientific communication skills. We prefer applicants with strong English language proficiency. If you are selected after the interview process you might be invited to come to the University of Twente and perform a mini-project, which findings you will present in the form of a scientific talk.
Information and application
Potential applicants are encouraged to discuss the project with Dr. Andrés Alayon Glazunov (email@example.com) prior to submitting applications.
Applications should include the following documents:
- A filled-out application form;
- A one-page letter motivating a) why you want to do a PhD; b) why are you applying for this specific position; c) why do you consider yourself a suitable candidate for this position;
- A detailed CV listing education, work experience, publications, relevant other activities and coordinates of up to three referees;
- An academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education;
- A copy of up to 5 academic works such as papers or M.Sc. thesis;
- A high TOEFL (> 90 or 100) or IELTS (> 6.5 or 7) score certificate.
All researchers recruited in an ITN must be Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs). This means that the researchers shall, at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
Researchers can be of any nationality. Applicants have to ensure compliance with the Marie-Curie mobility requirement: At the time of recruitment, the applicant must have resided or carried out their main activity outside of the country of the institution for more than 24 months in the 3 years immediately prior to their recruitment. For instance, when applying for a position at the University of Twente in the Netherlands with a starting date of May 1st, 2018, the applicant must not have lived in the Netherlands for more than one year since May 1st, 2015. Short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account.
We want you to play a key role in an ambitious project in an inspiring international consortium comprising both industry and academic partners.
- We offer you a full time four-year position with a starting monthly gross salary of Euro 2222 that will progress to Euro 2840 in the fourth year. Additionally, you will benefit from a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an end-of-year bonus of 8,3%.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- As part of your research project, you will collaborate with high tech companies, where you will spend up to 1.5 years of your doctoral studies.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus, with lots of facilities for sports and other extra-curricular activities.
- A high-quality training program is part of the offered position. The research has to lead to published scientific work that at the end of the employment period shall result in a PhD thesis.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+, CTIT and MIRA.