PhD position Sealing and closing of plastic packaging
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate to solve the issue of micro-leakages in the sealing and closing of packaging with the final aim to reduce …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate to solve the issue of micro-leakages in the sealing and closing of packaging with the final aim to reduce food waste. This will be done in collaboration with The Delft University of Technology and several commercial companies. Are you ready to contribute to a better society in an interdisciplinary context?The challenge
The first aim of this project is to find the reasons of failure and to understand which physical phenomena are relevant for the observed micro-failures of packaging seals in the field.
The other research questions that have to be solved are: What measures can be taken in order to predict and improve the long term quality of a (heat) seal? This may help the industry to develop sealing systems that can ensure the long-term quality seal performance.
The project will be executed in cooperation with TU-Delft (post-doc research of two years, experimentally based), where simulations of the behaviour plastic sealings will play an important part.
For this PhD position, we are looking for a candidate who is open to learning and applying mixed research methods in direct collaboration with industry. You will work at the chair Packaging Design and Management of the University of Twente and in close collaboration with the Adhesion Institute of the Delft University of Technology, and in cooperation with the companies Ardagh Metal Group, Heineken, JDE and Yparex and a network comprising Wageningen University and The Technical University of Eindhoven. The use of lab equipment is part of the job. You will work on generating fundamental knowledge and simulation tools to be able to improve the quality of sealing. You will take lead in writing project deliverables and research publications.
- Master degree in polymer science (preferred), material engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, applied physics or another relevant discipline
- Experience with material testing, analysis and polymer science
- Knowledge of packaging, packaging materials and sealing mechanisms
- Excellent English, communication and reporting skills
- Comfortable to work both independently and in a team
- A pro-active, independent, problem-solving, and result-oriented work attitude
- Expected to publish and participate in international conferences
You can submit your application (including CV, list of publications, research statements and three names of potential references) before 1st of March 2019. For more information you can contact prof. dr. ir. Roland ten Klooster (email@example.com).
We offer a very challenging fulltime PhD-position for 3,5 years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment. Your research is expected to result in a promotion. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- A starting salary of € 2.325,- in the first year and a salary of € 2.972,- in the last year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.