The project “Additive Manufacturing for Extra Large Metal Components” (AiM2XL) aims at the production of large-scale (~1 to >10 m) additively manufactured metallic components for maritime applications. To accomplish this, you will support the design of such products by simulations of the production process. Straightforward simulations by current techniques require very long calculation times and are therefore not feasible for industrial applications.
- You will develop numerical methods for efficient simulation of temperatures, distortions and stresses during and after production of the components;
- You will choose appropriate advanced numerical techniques and optimize them for simulation of additive manufacturing;
- You will assist the validation of your simulation methods by measurements on actually produced samples;
- You will closely collaborate with your research-team colleagues at University of Twente and at TU Delft;
- You will mentor BSc and MSc students, who do graduation projects in support of your research;
- You will finish your research with a PhD thesis.
- You hold a MSc degree in mechanical engineering, applied physics, applied mathematics or a closely related discipline;
- You have excellent skills and experience in application of nonlinear finite element methods to real life processes;
- You have experience in programming for numerical simulations;
- You have a strong analytical mind and an eye for detail to develop fundamentally robust algorithms;
- You have a critical attitude towards assessment of simulation results;
- You like to present your results to colleagues, industrial partners and at international conferences;
- You are fluent in English and express yourself easily both in speech and in writing. We require a TOEFL > 90 or IELTS > 6.5 score.
Information and application
For information, please contact dr. ir. Hubert Geijselaers (email@example.com).
The start of the project is as soon as possible. We also invite applications from candidates, who expect to graduate soon. Your application should be submitted before 22-4-2018.
Please send the following documents through the link below:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- List with grades of courses attended
- References and, if applicable, a list of publications.
We offer a very challenging fulltime position for four years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities;
- You will be given the opportunity to acquire teaching experience;
- You are offered a professional and personal development program within Graduate School Twente;
- A starting salary of € 2.222,- in the first year and a salary of € 2.840,- in the fourth year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment;