Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
PhD project Comprehensive monitoring and prediction of seismicity
The PhD candidate will be employed at the chair Stochastic Operations Research at the University of Twente (see www.utwente.nl/eemcs/sor/ in the project …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The PhD candidate will be employed at the chair Stochastic Operations Research at the University of Twente (see www.utwente.nl/eemcs/sor/ in the project `Comprehensive monitoring and prediction of seismicity within the Groningen gas field using large scale field observations', which is embedded in the national research programme DeepNL funded by the Dutch Research Council.
The induced seismicity of the Groningen gas field can only be understood through the relation between gas extraction and subsurface response. To understand the dynamics of the system new approaches are required that are based on observational data. In the project, we will monitor the seismicity and determine stress changes, reservoir compaction and deformation of the overlying layers from seismic data.
Advanced tools based on machine learning, model order reduction and supercomputing will be developed to model the recorded seismograms and to detect subsurface variations. Changes in earthquake risk due to changes in gas production will be assessed by stochastic modelling. The successful candidate will contribute to this last aspect by developing risk monitoring and decision support tools.
- You have a Master’s degree in mathematics or a related discipline and a solid background in probability, statistics and numerical mathematics;
- You have excellent grades, research talent (as proven by your Master’s thesis)
- You have an affinity with engineering and applications;
- You have an affinity with writing scientific papers and technical reports;
- You have excellent analytical skills and critical mindset;
- You are a team player with good communication skills;
- You have an excellent command of English and good academic writing and presentation skills.
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written.
More information about this position can be obtained from Prof.dr. M.N.M. van Lieshout (M.N.M.firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please upload your application, with a detailed CV and a specific motivation letter, through the link below before November 1st., 2019.
Please also upload a list of your BSc and MSc courses with grades and either a copy of your Master’s thesis, if available or a copy of your Bachelor’s thesis accompanied by an outline of your Master's thesis.
We offer a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for universities.
- A starting salary of € 2.325,- in the first year and a salary of € 2.972,- in the fourth year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.
- Your main responsibility will be to carry out research, but you may be given the opportunity to acquire some teaching experience. We offer our PhD candidates the opportunity to broaden their knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops, and by visiting other research institutes and universities worldwide.
Start of the project will be a.s.a.p.