PhD student postition in the area of telepresence
Robotics is a booming field of research, with the potential to transform our society. The interaction between users and remote environments is often …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
Robotics is a booming field of research, with the potential to transform our society. The interaction between users and remote environments is often restricted to vision and audition, also in a telepresence approach. Adding the sense of touch to this interaction is a young and promising field, and offers an exciting, radically different approach to increase the sense of presence and performance of the operator through haptic and tactile feedback and tapping into neurocognitive mechanisms of for instance body ownership. Our ambition is to expand our knowledge in this field and get grip on the boundary conditions of touch, telepresence, embodiment, and body ownership on teleoperation.
You will be embedded in a research group with a long track record in virtual agents and human robot interaction. This project is carried out in cooperation with the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO) and includes regular presence at the joint i-Botics laboratories in Enschede and Soesterberg, both in The Netherlands. You will have the opportunity to carry out your research using the excellent facilities of both organisations. In addition, you will contribute to the organization of the EuroHaptics conference 2020 in Leiden, The Netherlands. EuroHaptics is a major international conference on haptics and touch enabled computer applications, and the primary European meeting for researchers in this field. The position offers prospective candidates excellent opportunities to extend their network with academic and societal partners.
- You have a master degree in Computer Science, Cognitive Psychology or any other topic related to Human Robot Interaction, relevant expertise in the area of touch, and experience with human participants experiments.
- You are a good collaborator who is able to combine and extend current knowledge and know-how.
- You have interest in and experience with organizing scientific events like workshops and conferences.
- You have an excellent command of English.
Applications, including a CV, a statement of your interest and vision, and contact information for two or more references, should be uploaded through the link below. The deadline for application is February 27, 2019.