1 dag geleden - Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen - Groningen
Post-doctoral fellow opening: data-driven modeling for closed-loop neuro-modulative technologies
The Neuro-Mechanical Modeling and Engineering Lab is seeking for a creative and outstanding post-doctoral fellow to work within the newly funded EU ERC …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3255 - € 4274 per maand
The Neuro-Mechanical Modeling and Engineering Lab is seeking for a creative and outstanding post-doctoral fellow to work within the newly funded EU ERC project INTERACT.
The ERC project: The aim is to develop a new class of data-driven numerical models that can capture an individual's neuromuscular anatomy as well as how it changes over time. These models will be used to establish new closed-loop control methods for robotic exoskeletons and spinal cord stimulators (http://bit.ly/NMLab).
The post-doc opening: Neuro-modulative technologies that interact directly with spinal neural circuitries have the potential to improve the ability of moving following impairment. Despite advances, there is lack of basic knowledge on how the human neuromuscular system responds and adapts to electrical stimulation across time scales. With few exceptions, current neuro-modulative technologies interact with spinal circuitries in open-loop, e.g. with parameters empirically hand-tuned and with no corrective feedback accounting for short-to-long term adaptations in spinal circuitries and musculoskeletal dynamics. This post-doc position will open new avenues for closed-loop solutions by developing real-time models of spinal circuitries driven by experimentally derived spinal neuron discharges.
Your tasks will be:
- To develop finite-element (FE) models of spinal cord electrical properties.
- To develop biophysical models of spinal neurons and their organization within the spinal cord.
- To link these models with spiking neural networks of the lumbar spine.
- To validate these models’ ability of capturing spinal neuron response to electrical stimuli via experimental techniques including neuro-stimulation, high-density EMG decomposition, and dynamometry.
- To use these models to develop real-time closed-loop control schemes for multi-channel spinal cord electrical stimulators.
- To coordinate and perform experimental tests on healthy and neurologically impaired individuals.
- To coordinate and mentor PhD students working on related topics.
- Experience with FE modelling and simulation of networks of neurons.
- Experience with spinal cord electrical stimulation.
- PhD degree on topics related to the opening.
- MSc degree in Computer, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related degrees.
- Experience with scripting and object-oriented programming.
- Interpersonal and organizational skills, creativity, motivation, and communication ability (oral and written).
- Experience in coordinating undergraduate and graduate students.
- Fluent in written and oral English.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Apply by September 29th, 2019.
Applications should include the following documents (incomplete submissions will not be considered):
- A video (2-minute max) describing your scientific interests and why you want to apply for this position. Please, include a web link for video direct download in your CV document.
- A cover letter (1-page max) specifying how your experience and skills match the position as well as summarizing your PhD work.
- A CV including English proficiency level, nationality, visa requirements, date of birth, experience overview, publication list, and video download link.
- Transcripts from your BSc and MSc degrees.
- Contact information for at least two academic references. A support letter will be requested only if your application is considered.
For questions, please contact Assoc.-Prof. Massimo Sartori, mail: mailto:email@example.com.
Please, only apply via the web platform and not via email.
We offer an ambitious position with a generous allowance:
- A full-time 2-year position with the possibility of extension of a 3rd year.
- The gross monthly salary will range from € 3.255,- to € 4.274,- and will depend on experience and qualifications.
- 30% tax ruling option.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment.
- A proven pension scheme.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- Extraordinary research facilities and working environment:
- Access to the new established Neuromechanics and Wearable Robotics Labs.
- Work location within a knowledge park with direct access to a large number of tech-companies and start-ups.
- Proximity to Enschede, a mid-size city with a large social offer, embedded in the beautiful nature of the Twente region.
- Fun work atmosphere with social events such as lab retreats.