Postdoc position in SaltiSolutions
Salt intrusion is a major threat to the availability of fresh water and the management of freshwater habitats in deltas. This project therefore looks for both …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 3217 - € 4402 per maand
Salt intrusion is a major threat to the availability of fresh water and the management of freshwater habitats in deltas. This project therefore looks for both natural and technological solutions to support coastal zone management. The SaltiSolutions project aims to develop the "Virtual Delta", a digital replica of a delta system. In the Virtual Delta scientific knowledge and local interests interact to test new solutions. To guarantee the application of our outcomes, users are actively involved in the development of the Virtual Delta system.
For this project our group at the University of Twente is currently exploring what indicators are used by the key stakeholders for decision making related to salt intrusion and what information they need hereto. From this we will develop the Delta Management Game as part of the Virtual Delta. The Delta Management game enables stakeholders to gain an increased understanding of the delta system, to learn about other stakeholders' perspectives, to build relationships, and to enhance trust and cooperation.
For the Delta Management Game, the PostDoc will develop the Integrated Assessment Model (IAM). This IAM will be a qualitative model that visualizes and specifies links and effects of mitigating solutions to salt intrusion to the key indicators. Existing models and the models produced in other SALTISolutions workpackages will be reviewed on their applicability to quantify the effects and their ability to assess effects quickly. Where necessary, meta models (i.e. simplified models that behave like their parent models) will be developed to make application in the IAM feasible. Moreover, assessment models for certain key indicators may not be available or not be suitable and may need to be developed. Data from partners within SALTISolutions may then be used to quantify effects and if those are not available, experts may be involved to create best estimates. The IAM will be developed in iterative cycles, with early tests starting with the qualitative model and testing to continue with refined, quantified designs. The IAM's applicability-whether it can or cannot be used for its intended purpose-and its usefulness-its added value-will be assessed by applying the IAM to case studies.
- PhD (and MSc) in Civil Engineering, Earth System Science, Applied Mathematics or Computer Sciences.
- Extensive experience in computer model development.
- Affinity with data processing or numerical modeling
- Excellent ability to think multidisciplinary and take a systemic view
- Excellent ability to work in a team and engage diverse stakeholders
- Good communication skills, in speech and writing and in English and Dutch.
- A full-time contract for 36 months (with possibility of extension)
- A gross salary between € 3.353,- and € 4.402,- per month , depending on experience and qualifications.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual end of year bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other extracurricular activities.
- In the last phase, a duo-position at Deltares can be discussed.
Additional informationYou can apply for this position before 11th of September 2021 by clicking the 'apply now' button below. Please include a CV (including contact information for at least two academic references) and a cover letter.
For more information on this position, please contact prof.dr. J.C.J. Kwadijk, email@example.com.