Ongeveer 17 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Postdoc position on Acoustic metamaterials for geomechanics: DEM modeling and optimization
We are seeking an enthusiastic postdoc with interests in geomechanics, acoustics, computer modelling to join University of Twente (Netherlands) and work on …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3255 - € 4274 per maand
We are seeking an enthusiastic postdoc with interests in geomechanics, acoustics, computer modelling to join University of Twente (Netherlands) and work on the optimization of acoustic metamaterials using DEM and Machine Learning.
Seismic risk is one of the biggest challenges for civil engineers. Recent numerical/experiment work on wave propagation have shown that acoustic/elastic properties of soils can be modified by microstructure manipulation and microscopic inclusions. This project exploits this concept for a novel approach to seismic reduction, as an alternative to conventional structure/foundation intervention. The idea relies on the modification of the incoming seismic waves due to inclusion interference: by engineering the area neighboring the foundation, soils will be converted into active Soft Shields against seismic waves. The novel technique is based on the innovative concept of metamaterials applied for the first time to soil mechanics.
The project will employ Discrete Element simulations for wave propagation guided by machine-learning aided/guided optimization algorithms to design the most suitable soft material able to maximize soil damping. Specific goals of the project are:
- Simulate granular mixtures containing resonator inclusions;
- Develop/apply Machine Learning algorithms to tailor the acoustic properties of the mixtures and selectively dissipate energy in the desired frequency range;
- In turn, design new soils able to damp low-frequency waves relevant for seismic hazards.
Goal: Design of soils as seismic shields.
How: By combining your skills with our knowledge on DEM modeling and soil optimizastion.
Why: Modern techniques open up many ways of designing and fabricating new metamaterials, that can reach exceptional performances. This project paves the route for their application to soil mechanics with unprecedented opportunities.
As an ideal candidate
- You have obtained a Ph.D degree in a relevant field such as applied- or geo-physics, civil or mechanical engineering, computer science or related areas;
- You have previous experience in acoustic, metamaterials, Discrete Element simulations, or and/or optimization techniques or strong interest in learning such skills at the University of Twente;
- You are intersted to learn and contribute to new technologies for geomechanical application;
- You love working in a multidiciplinary team in which fundamental and applied research cross-fertilize.
Furthermore, an appropriate qualification in the English Language together with excellent communication and organizational skills are required.
Information and application:
For more information on the project you can contact Dr. V. Magnanimo, email@example.com.
Your application should consist of:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivations to apply for this position;
- A full Curriculum Vitae including your publications, awards, and working experience. The CV should reflect the scope of your work and your academic performance;
- Contact details of at least two references who worked closely with you.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications before 1st March 2019 through the link below
You will work in MultiScale Mechanics group, at Faculty of Engineering Technology at the University of Twente. The position is part of an interdisciplinary team of young faculty that closely collaborates on design and fabrication of Soft Metamaterials.
- The position is for at least 1 year. The starting date is as soon as possible.
- The gross monthly salary will range from € 3.255,- to € 4.274,- and will depend on experience and qualifications. In addition, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%,
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.