Postdoctoral researcher in philosophy (NanoBubbles)
The department of philosophy of the University of Twente (UT) seeks to appoint a Postdoctoral researcher in philosophy (3 years) to join the ERC funded …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3353 - € 3491 per maand
The department of philosophy of the University of Twente (UT) seeks to appoint a Postdoctoral researcher in philosophy (3 years) to join the ERC funded NanoBubbles project. In this exciting new role you will primarily undertake philosophical analysis and annotation of scientific texts and articles.
The NanoBubbles Project
NanoBubbles has been awarded ERC Synergy funding of € 8.3 million over 5 years, and began on 1 June 2021: https://nanobubbles.hypotheses.org
Science relies on the correction of errors to advance, yet in practice scientists find it difficult to erase erroneous and exaggerated claims from the scientific record. Recent discussion of a "replication crisis" has impaired trust in science both among scientists and non-scientists; yet we know little about how non-replicable or even fraudulent claims can be removed. This project combines approaches from the natural, engineering, social sciences, and the humanities to understand how error correction in science works and what obstacles it faces. We will also stage events for scientists to reflect on error and overpromising.
The project's focus is nanobiology, a highly interdisciplinary field founded in circa 2000 that has already seen multiple episodes of overpromising and promotion of erroneous claims. We examine three such alleged "bubbles": the claim that nanoparticles can cross the blood-brain barrier; that nanoparticles can penetrate the cell membrane; and the promotion of the "protein corona" concept to describe ordinary adsorption of proteins on nanoparticles. Through the study and practice of nanobiology, we will analyse how, when and why science fails to correct itself, and explore ways to improve the reliability and efficiency of the scientific process.
You will be based at the UT in Enschede, and you will need to live, or to move, to the Twente region or to within a short commute. Within the UT structure, your supervisor will be Prof.dr. C. Aydin, however, your work in NanoBubbles will be supervised by Dr Yasemin J. Erden (philosophy of science and technology, UT) and Prof. Raphaël Lévy (physicist with expertise in nanobiology, University Sorbonne Paris Nord, France).
You will work closely with another postdoctoral researcher from bionano, within the same supervisory team, and alongside a number of postdoc researchers from different fields examining overlapping and related topics. The successful applicant will therefore be engaged not only with their own work, but with complementary lines of investigation in the project.
In this position, working closely with the postdoc in bionano, your main tasks will be to:
- Explicate a common vocabulary;
- Build bibliographical corpuses;
- Analyse and annotate scientific literature.
- Work towards mapping, tracing, organising of core scientific content using digital methods stemming from the fields of scientometrics and natural language processing;
- Analysing the effects of interventions that seek to correct the scientific record.
We welcome applications that show:
- you are a highly motivated, positive and hardworking researcher with a PhD in philosophy, ideally in topics directly relevant to NanoBubbles, e.g. philosophy of language, philosophy of science, or science and technology studies (STS). Related PhD subjects will be considered, especially if you can demonstrate scientific knowledge, understanding or enthusiasm to learn, as well as sufficient training in philosophy;
- a proven interest and/or experience in societal and ethical aspects of science and technology;
- an ability to work independently, but with a good team spirit, excellent organisational skills and a commitment to interdisciplinary research;
- excellent communication and written skills, both within academia and outside the academy, including English proficiency at C2 level.
ConditionsThe UT provides a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance, excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment and a green and lively campus. We offer:
- A postdoc position for three years;
- Full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits;
- Gross salary: max. € 3.491,- per month, plus holiday allowance (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8.3%);
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development;
- Good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labour agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities;
- A green campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community.
Additional informationHow to apply
- Please include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for this position, a detailed CV (resume) and a publication list. You can apply until 30 August. Interviews are expected to take place in September.
- For more information please contact Dr Yasemin J. Erden: firstname.lastname@example.org