2 Postdoc positions in the research program “The senses of Islam: A cultural history of perception in the Muslim world”
The Faculty of Humanities is looking for 2 Postdoc positions in the research program “The senses of Islam: A cultural history of perception in the Muslim world”. Are you interested? Then please read the full ...
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3238 - € 4084 per maand
The postdocs (three years and two years, respectively) are embedded in the research project “The senses of Islam: A cultural history of perception in the Muslim world” (SENSIS). The project is funded by a Consolidator Grant of the European Research Council and led by Prof Christian Lange.
SENSIS is a five-year research project (September 2017-August 2022) that studies the history of Muslim conceptualizations of the senses and of sense perception. SENSIS seeks to attract researchers in the following four areas:
(3) law and
(4) poetry of the Islamicate world.
A central concern of SENSIS is to achieve a method transfer from disciplines such as sensory history and the material study of religion to the study of Islam. The postdoc position is advertised, in the first instance, for areas (1) and (4), but should applicants wish to pursue other lines of inquiry they are encouraged to consult with Christian Lange via C.R.Lange@uu.nl. Find a fuller description of SENSIS project here.
- a PhD in Islamic Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, or associated fields. Or a PhD dissertation in one of these fields already accepted by the PhD committee;
- knowledge of at least one primary Islamicate language, preferably Arabic, but other languages will also be considered;
- an excellent track record and research skills relative to experience;
- excellent academic writing and presentation skills;
- published in good journals or (in the case of books) with internationally recognized academic publishers;
- the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with good organisational and communication skills;
- proven interest in interdisciplinary work. This is considered an advantage.
We offer two postdoc positions (1 fte), initially for a period of twelve months. One position is for three years, the other one is for two years. Upon good performance, the contract will be extended until three or two years in total, respectively. The starting salary ranges between € 3.238 and € 4.084 (gross monthly salary) on a fulltime basis depending on experience and qualifications (salary scale 10).
Utrecht University offers a pension scheme, a holiday allowance of 8% per year, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and terms of employment.You'll find more information about working at Utrecht University here.
Additionele informatieWould you like additional information about SENSIS? Then please contact Prof C.R. Lange via C.R.Lange@uu.nl. Please also check Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies for information.
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, colleagues from various disciplines collaborate intensively on major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 6,000 students and 900 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and teaching in these fields, the faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. Enthusiastic and committed faculty members and excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.