Assistant Professor in History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Join our team and help us expand our research focus!
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4987 per maand
Are you a Philosopher working on the recent history and philosophy of the life sciences (e.g. genetics, molecular biology, neurosciences, systems biology, bioinformatics, biophysics, environmental biology)? Then you might be interested in the position of Assistant Professor in History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences at the HPS group of the Freudenthal Institute of Utrecht University.
In this position you will be actively involved in teaching and developing teaching material for Bachelor programmes, particularly in Biology and the HPS Master's programme. You will also be teaching research integrity (RCR) courses. Furthermore, you will be supervising Master's students and PhD students. Besides education you will have the opportunity to contribute to research in your chosen field and publish the results in high-quality journals and books. You will be embedded within a diverse and collaborative community of Teachers and Researchers across the Utrecht Science and city centre campus.
You will play a committed role in all aspects of academic life. Ideally, your eligibility is exemplified by:
- a PhD in (history and) philosophy of the life sciences;
- significant research achievements and promise for the future;
- a track record of international publications in leading journals;
- high potential for the acquisition of external research funds;
- affinity with collaboration within an HPS environment;
- a committed role in (inter)national activities in scientific and/or societal communities;
- a strong commitment towards high quality teaching and student supervision;
- ideas about organising research conferences, workshops and seminars, and public engagement activities;
- the willingness to acquire a working knowledge of the Dutch language within the first two years of the appointment.
In view of our aspiration to improve the gender balance we strongly invite women to apply.
- An appointment at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for a period of 5 years. The position will be subject to a mid-term evaluation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term evaluation. Following a positive evaluation the position will become permanent after 5 years.
- The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,637 and €4,987 (scale 11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities(cao)) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
- We offer a pension scheme, collective insurance schemes, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow. For international employees the University offers help with finding housing, child care and schools, as well as a partner programme and a Dutch language course.
Facilities for sports and child care are available on our campus, which is only 15 minutes away from the historical city centre of Utrecht. Utrecht is one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, with a charming old centre and an internationally oriented culture that is strongly influenced by its centuries-old university. Utrecht city has been consistently ranked as one of the most attractive cities to live in the Netherlands.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact Professor Bert Theunissen (chair of the selection committee), via email@example.com.
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Then please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.