Assistant Professor in Political History (1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Humanities is looking for an Assistant Professor in Political History. Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 4757 per maand
Would you like to join the Department of History and Art History at Utrecht University? We seek to appoint an Assistant Professor in Political History. The Political History Group studies political developments from the early modern period until the present day, including such topics as democracy, revolutions, wars and genocidal violence. The Group has a particular interest in long-term developments and connects the past with present-day political issues.
We are looking for applicants specialised in early modern, modern or contemporary European political history, ideally with a focus on any of the following themes: the relationship between gender and politics, the history of colonialism or imperialism, the history of democracy and its discontents, the history of political violence or the history of political ideas. In addition, we are also particularly interested in candidates who can help us expand our scope to the history of Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean world, Britain, and/or (post)colonial states. Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. The position carries an initial 70% teaching load and 30% research time.
Requirements for the Assistant Professorship are:
- experience with and enthusiasm for teaching undergraduate students at all levels;
- a PhD degree in History;
- ability to contribute to research-led postgraduate courses and to assist in the recruitment of postgraduate students;
- a record (appropriate to career stage) of publications that demonstrates the ability to conduct research that is internationally excellent in significance, originality and rigour;
- a realistic medium-term research plan, addressing substantial historical problems and aiming for publications in leading journals, and holding the promise of winning external funding for research;
- readiness to engage with non-academic research users and to assist in developing the impact of historical research beyond the university sector;
- ability to play an important role in departmental management and to contribute fully to the academic life of the Department.
Utrecht University has a teaching qualification system for University Lecturers and candidates are required to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO), if they are not already in possession of one, within a reasonable timeframe.
Candidates are expected to be versatile in both Dutch and English. Non-Dutch candidates will need to master the Dutch language on an academic level within three years.
You will be appointed as a tenure track Assistant Professor. Subject to excellent performance, the initial appointment of one year will be followed by a permanent position. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,475 and €4,757 (scale 11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % per year. We offer a pension scheme, (partly paid) parental leave, collective insurance schemes and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information is available at: working at Utrecht University.