Assistant Professor of Sociocultural Anthropology (1.0 FTE)
We seek applicants trained in social or cultural anthropology with a profile in key areas of social and political anthropology.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5826 per maand
The position is embedded within the Department of Cultural Anthropology of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences. It consists of 60% teaching and 40% research. We seek applicants trained in social or cultural anthropology with a profile in key areas of social and political anthropology. We particularly value candidates who can teach in the fields of the anthropology of gender and/or environmental anthropology. The candidate will contribute to the departmental research programme Sovereignty and Social Contestation and teach in the graduate and undergraduate programmes. The geographic area of expertise is open. The initiation of new research projects will be encouraged.
- The candidate will teach graduate and undergraduate courses in key areas of social and political anthropology, preferably with a focus on the anthropology of gender and sexuality and/or environmental anthropology, as well as anthropological research methods. The candidate will also be required to supervise Bachelor's and Master's theses.
- Courses are taught in Dutch and English. For this position the candidate is required to teach in Dutch fluently from the start of the appointment.
- The candidate will contribute to and supervise research within the scope of the research programme on Sovereignty and Social Contestation.
We are looking for a candidate who:
- has a PhD on a relevant topic within the disciplinary field of Social and Cultural Anthropology;
- is able to teach fluently in Dutch;
- has experience with teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, engages with students in inspiring ways and has an interest in innovative teaching practices;
- has experience with ethnographic research within the context of the research programme Sovereignty and Social Contestation;
- has experience with acquiring external (personal) research funds;
- has a promising publication record as shown by international, peer-reviewed publications;
- is keen on connecting academic expertise to societal relevance;
- is able to meet the requirements of a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO).
We offer a position (1.0 FTE) for one year. After a positive evaluation, the appointment will be made permanent. You will be required to start the position by 1 September 2021, with the possibility to start earlier. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,746 and €5,826 (scale 11/12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.