Ongeveer 10 uur geleden - Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen - Wageningen
Associate/Assistant Professor Internal Medicine - Infectiology of Farm Animals (1.0 FTE)
As Associate or Assistant Professor your job is to carry out scientific research (approximately 60%) in addition to teaching (approximately 40%). Your …
- Limalaan, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2588 - € 6438 per maand
As Associate or Assistant Professor your job is to carry out scientific research (approximately 60%) in addition to teaching (approximately 40%). Your research will focus on the pathophysiology and/or immunology of infections in farm animals. You will develop and improve animal models to study the interaction between farm animal hosts and pathogens, especially those relevant for the research line One Health Farm Animal Health, with the aim to further elucidate mechanisms underlying infection. You will teach Internal Medicine – Infectiology in farm animals in the veterinary medicine curriculum and also train our junior teaching staff in these topics. This challenging job requires integration of internal medicine, immunology and microbiology and, moreover, analytical skills in order to bridge the gap between, on the one hand, Veterinary Epidemiologists, and on the other hand Microbiologists and Immunologists. Consequently, cooperation with Scientists from other disciplines in the area of infectious diseases (such as veterinary sciences, microbiology, immunology and epidemiology) is a crucial part of your task.
You will be a member of the Chair Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases of the Department of Farm Animal Health (Prof. Dr. Arjan Stegeman). In case you apply for the Assistant Professorship you will have the opportunity to build your own research group based on your solid track record of expertise, high quality publications, international collaboration and grant acquisition.
Specifically you will:
- initiate, conduct, and supervise scientific research in the field of Internal Medicine – Infectiology;
- write scientific papers in peer-reviewed international journals;
- acquire external research funding;
- supervise and coach MSc and PhD students;
- create, expand and maintain an extensive network of scientific collaboration;
- train junior staff in Pathophysiology of Infections,
- teach in the Veterinary Medicine curriculum and the MSc Epidemiology.
In case you have already proven your skills to build and supervise your own research group, you can apply for the associate professorship.
Requirements for the Assistant Professorship are:
- a strong curiosity-driven attitude with broad research interest and a healthy scientific ambition;
- a PhD with a strong background in infection models in farm animals;
- outstanding research achievements and reputation as demonstrated by publication record and international visibility;
- knowledge of current status and opportunities of research technology in infection models in animals and their replacements;
- track record of successful acquisition of external funds;
- excellent interpersonal, social and communicative skills;
- experience in supervising PhD or MSc students;
- teaching qualification (at Utrecht University or equivalent) or willingness to achieve this qualification in the near future.
Additional requirements for the associate professorship are:
- proven excellence in academic leadership as demonstrated by building and supervising a research group;
- excellent research achievements and reputation as demonstrated by publication record and international visibility;
- excellent track record of successful acquisition of external funds;
We offer a full-time position, initially for a period of one year, with the possibility of an extension to tenure track. The salary for Associate Professor is between €4,815 - €5,861 (scale 13) and €5,059 - €6,438 (scale 14) gross per month for a full-time appointment depending on education and experience. The salary for Assistant Professor is between €2,588 – €4,084 (scale 10) and €3,475 – €4,757 (scale 11) gross per month for a full-time appointment depending on education and experience. There are career development opportunities within the Assistant Professorship (to scale 12) and the opportunity to become Associate Professor.
Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % per year. We offer a pension scheme, collective insurance schemes and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information is available at: working at Utrecht University.
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Arjan Stegeman by firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send your application letter to this e-mail address.
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has a unique position in the Netherlands. Not only is this the only institution where veterinarians are trained, researchers are also working together on innovative scientific research. In addition, the faculty provides specialist clinical care in the largest academic veterinary hospital in Europe. Thanks to this position, the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine is a point of contact for all veterinary matters, both nationally and increasingly internationally. The faculty employs approximately 900 veterinarians, scientists and support staff and counts 1.500 students.