Chair (Full Professor) in Media, Data and Society (1,0 FTE)
Are you a media scholar with a strong international reputation and excellent skills in research, teaching and management? Read on!
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 5749 - € 8371 per maand
The Department of Media and Culture Studies is looking for a media scholar with a strong international reputation and excellent skills in research, teaching and management. S/he can articulate an engaged, interdisciplinary vision on the field in line with the strategic plans of the department, the Faculty of Humanities, and the university. The ideal candidate substantially contributes to developing the department’s research themes in media, data and society and helps to disseminate this knowledge beyond academia.
S/he has a strong research focus on media developments of digitization, datafication and platformization (i.c. data-driven and algorithmically steered platforms), and their cultural social and political implications. S/he is able to draw on a broad scope of theoretical and methodological approaches, such as digital methods, media ethics, digital etnography or STS, and has experience in investigating concrete practices, e.g. digital innovation or data governance in societal processes. The interconnection between data-driven practices, media, and societal change constitutes the core of collaborations between Utrecht University’s researchers. The candidate is able to motivate and inspire cooperative research projects across the various disciplinary areas, apply for outside funding, initiate collaborative teaching, and stimulate innovation that directly connects to recent developments in media studies, both nationally and internationally.
The successful candidate focuses on datafication and the cultural and societal dimensions of media in today’s digitized society, in both teaching and research. S/he is expected to engage with, and help to develop, existing interdisciplinary research initiatives such as urban interfaces and/or Datafied Society. Moreover, s/he is expected to contribute to Utrecht University’s strategic themes “Institutions for Open Societies, “Dynamics of Youth” and/or “Pathways to Sustainability”, and focus areas such as Governing the Digital Society, Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence and/or Game Research. The successful candidate is encouraged to initiate and build on UU’s research strengths in these areas.
The candidate we are looking for has a strong publication record, proven abilities to generate external funding, and an extensive international network. S/he has profound knowledge of the theoretical foundations of media studies as an academic field and is familiar with current developments in the field of media such as datafication, mediatisation, datafication, and platformization; we welcome theoretical, historical, empirical and contextual orientations towards these developments.
The new chair will be positioned in the Department of Media and Culture Studies (MCW), which is part of the Humanities Faculty of Utrecht University (UU). MCW provides education and research in the fields of film, television, games, new media and digital culture, theatre, dance and performance, musicology, gender and post-colonial studies, communication and information studies, and participation in arts and culture. In the department, a wide range of media as well as cultural and artistic expressions are studied in conjunction with one another. Culture is interpreted as a dynamic combination of artistic, creative and everyday activities that people use to shape their identities, and within which social processes, structures and institutions are shaped.
We are looking for candidates:
- Who are experienced, internationally respected senior researchers in the field of the chair, as shown by a completed PhD and an extensive list of peer-reviewed scholarly output in leading academic journals and reputable book publications;
- Who have successfully acquired internal and external research grants;
- With substantial experience in teaching media subjects at the BA and MA level and who have acquired the Senior Teaching Qualification (SKO) according to Dutch university standards or who have extensive experience in developing curricula;
- Who have experience in supervising PhD candidates in an inspiring and effective way as well as in leading an international team of researchers;
- Who have an extensive international and national network in academia and beyond, especially in the media sector, and who are able to engage this network in order to develop original research projects;
- Who have excellent communication skills and who are capable of inspiring a positive team spirit;
- Who have the experience and willingness to take on managerial responsibilities at the departmental level;
- Who are fluent in English at near-native or native-speaker standard in oral and written communication;
- Whose fluency in Dutch is at least at the NT2 level (or able to reach this level within two years after the appointment).
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for five years in an international working environment. Subject to excellent performance, this will be followed by a permanent appointment. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €5,749 and €8,371 (consistent with the Collective Employment Agreement scale for professors of Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). Here you'll find more information about working at Utrecht University.
For informal inquiries please contact Professor Maaike Bleeker (email@example.com), Head of the Media and Culture Studies Department. Please note that an assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
More information regarding the chair position can be found here.