Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Full Professor Media, Culture and Society (1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Humanities is looking for a Full Professor Media, Culture and Society. Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 5582 - € 8127 per maand
The Department of Media and Culture Studies is looking for a media scholar with a strong international reputation and excellent skills in research, teaching and management. S/he can articulate an engaged, interdisciplinary vision on the academic field in line with the strategic plans of the department, the Faculty of Humanities, and the university. The ideal candidate substantially contributes to developing the department's research themes in media, culture and society and helps distribute this knowledge in and beyond academia. S/he is able to motivate and inspire cooperative research projects across disciplines and to acquire external funding, initiate collaborative teaching, and stimulate innovation that directly connects to recent developments in media studies, both nationally and internationally. The successful candidate focuses on the cultural and societal dimensions of media in today's digitised society in both teaching and research. Moreover, s/he is expected to contribute to Utrecht University's strategic themes and is encouraged to initiate and build on the university's research strengths in these areas.
The candidate we are looking for has a strong publication and teaching record, an extensive international network, and the experience and willingness to take on managerial responsibilities. S/he has profound knowledge of the theoretical foundations of media studies as an academic field and is familiar with current developments in the field of media such as mediatisation, datafication, and screen cultures; we welcome theoretical, historical as well as contextual orientations towards these developments.
The new chair 'Media, Culture and Society' (pdf) will be positioned in the Department of Media and Culture Studies (MCW), which is part of the Humanities Faculty of Utrecht University. MCW provides education and research in the fields of film, television, games, new media and digital culture, theatre, dance and performance, musicology, gender and post-colonial studies, communication and information studies, and participation in arts and culture. In the department a wide range of media as well as cultural and artistic expressions are studied in conjunction with one another. Culture is interpreted as a dynamic combination of artistic, creative and everyday activities that people use to shape their identities, and within which social processes, structures and institutions are shaped.
We are looking for candidates:
- who are experienced, internationally respected senior researchers in the field of the chair, as shown by a completed PhD and an extensive list of peer-reviewed scholarly output in leading academic journals and reputable book publications;
- with substantial experience in teaching media subjects at BA and MA level and who have acquired Senior Teaching Qualification (SKO) according to Dutch university standards or who have extensive experience in developing curricula;
- with experience in supervising PhD candidates in an inspiring and effective way as well as in leading an international team of researchers;
- with an extensive international and national network in academia and beyond, especially in the media sector, and who are able to engage this network in order to develop original research projects;
- who have successfully acquired internal and external research grants;
- with excellent communication skills and capable of inspiring positive team spirit;
- who have the experience and willingness to take on managerial responsibilities at departmental level;
- who are fluent in English at near-native or native speaker standard in oral and written communication;
- whose fluency in Dutch is at least at NT2 level (or able to attain this level within two years after the appointment).
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for the duration of five years. In case of a good performance, an indefinite employment is one of the possibilities. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €5,582 and €8,127 (scale HL2 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment.
Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact Eugene van Erven (Head of the Department of Media and Culture Studies), via E.A.P.B.Erven@uu.nl.
Please note that an assessment can be part of the selection procedure.