PhD position in Formal Modelling of Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (1.0 FTE)
Join the cutting edge research into the foundations of Artificial Intelligence conducted in the Intelligent Systems group.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The department of Information and Computing sciences at Utrecht University offers a five-year PhD grant on Formal Modelling of Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agent Systems. The position consists of 70% research and 30% teaching so you will also be involved in supporting the preparation and teaching of Bachelor's and Master's level courses, supervising student theses, managing research infrastructure, and participating in public outreach.
The research goal of this project is to contribute to the ultimate aim of developing intelligent agents and multi-agent systems that are more reliable, more capable of assisting humans and attuned to human values. Possible topics include, but are not limited to: formal modelling of social systems, synthesis of norms for social systems, verification of learned strategies, verification and synthesis of strategies in multi-agent systems under resource constraints. The project is unique in the sense that as our candidate, you will have plenty of freedom in choosing your own topic of interest across the many opportunities in the area of formal modelling of intelligent agents and multi-agent systems, and it will allow you to develop a strong academic profile as a competent Researcher and able Teacher. You will be part of the Intelligent Systems (IS) group, led by Professor Mehdi Dastani, who will also be your daily supervisor along with Dr Natasha Alechina.
We are looking for a candidate with perseverance and a committed spirit. You also have:
- a background in modal or temporal logic;
- an understanding of basic AI concepts and techniques (intelligent agents, planning, learning) and some computational background (such as the ability to analyse correctness and complexity of algorithms);
- a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, or a related field;
- excellent communication skills in English, both in speech and in writing;
- a strong motivation for interdisciplinary research.
We offer an exciting opportunity to contribute to an ambitious and international education programme with highly motivated students and to conduct your own research project at a renowned research university. You will receive appropriate training, personal supervision, and guidance for both your research and teaching tasks, which will provide an excellent start to an academic career.
In addition, you will have:
- the opportunity to work in a collaborative, social, and dedicated team of Researchers;
- a full-time position for 5 years;
- a full-time gross salary that starts at €2,395 and increases to €3,061 per month in the fourth year (scale P of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao));
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
If you have any questions about this position, please contact Dr Natasha Alechina, via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Then please send an email to email@example.com.