Ongeveer 9 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
PhD position in gravitational-wave probes of cosmology and particle physics (1.0 FTE)
PhD position to work on the forefront of research that connects physics of the early universe with gravitational wave observations.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The Institute for Theoretical Physics (ITP) at Utrecht University has an opening for a PhD position at the interface of gravitational waves, particle physics, and cosmology. As the successful candidate you will work with Dr Elisa Chisari, Dr Tanja Hinderer, and Dr Tomislav Prokopec on observational manifestations of physics beyond the standard model of particle physics and General Relativity, and the early universe, with gravitational waves. The topics will encompass phase transitions in the early universe, gravitational-wave transients, and gravitational-wave imprints on the large-scale structure, with emphasis on connections and joint interpretations for fundamental physics. The group is active in diverse sub-fields including theory, modeling, and data analysis, and is involved in the Virgo collaboration, the LISA consortium, the 3G science case, and large-scale structure surveys (the Kilo-Degree Survey, LSST, Euclid). You will also have the opportunity to closely interact with other members of the String Theory, Cosmology and Elementary Particles group at the ITP (Dr Grimm, Dr Gürsoy, Dr Plauschinn and Prof Vandoren), and with the data analysis groups at the Gravitational Waves and Subatomic Physics Institute (Dr Caudill, Prof Van den Broeck).
The preferred starting date is January 2021. The appointment should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). You will be asked to spend 10% of your time on assisting in university teaching as a teaching assistant.
We are looking for a candidate who is enthusiastic and dedicated, and who:
- holds a MSc degree (or equivalent) in physics or a related field by the starting date of the employment;
- has strong written and oral communication skills in English;
- has a strong motivation for multidisciplinary research.
- a full-time position for 4 years;
- a full-time gross salary that starts at €2,395 and increases to €3,061 per month (scale P of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao));
- the position comes with a separate research budget of €5,000 per year;
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
Questions about this position can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.