PhD position in Learning Analytics (1.0 FTE)
Join our interdisciplinary team to conduct research in the emerging field of Learning Analytics.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
As the prospective PhD candidate on this 5-year project, you will perform research on the target topic, develop novel algorithms and software, validate them through well-designed experiments, publish the results at international conferences and scientific journals, and complete a PhD thesis. Furthermore, you will contribute to teaching by supervising tutorial groups and student projects, and by co-teaching courses. This can possibly lead to a basic teaching qualification (BKO). Teaching commitments are limited to a maximum of 30% of employment time.
Topic: Learning Analytics
You will join the Software Technology for Learning and Teaching group of Professor Johan Jeuring to conduct research in the emerging field of Learning Analytics. This project will look into developing technologies, methods and tools that leverage large volumes of data generated by students working with online educational tools and resources to improve learning and teaching. In particular, it will focus on design, implementation and evaluation of educational data-driven interfaces that positively affect students’ motivation and learning. You will work under the daily supervision of Dr Sergey Sosnovsky.
We are looking for a candidate who is enthusiastic and dedicated, and who has:
- a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Science or a related field;
- an ability to develop web-based interfaces and environments;
- a strong motivation for research and teaching in information or computer science;
- previous experience in computer-based educational technology;
- hands-on knowledge of statistical analysis;
- good communication skills in English, both in speech and in writing.
We offer an exciting opportunity to contribute to an ambitious and international education programme with highly motivated students and to conduct your own research project at a renowned research university. You will receive appropriate training, personal supervision, and guidance for both your research and teaching tasks, which will provide an excellent start to an academic career.
In addition, you will have:
- the opportunity to work in a collaborative, social, and dedicated teams of Researchers;
- a full-time position for 5 years;
- a full-time gross salary that starts at €2,395 and increases to €3,061 per month (scale P of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao));
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
If you have any questions about this position, please contact Dr Sergey Sosnovsky, via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Then please send an email to email@example.com.