Ongeveer 14 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD position in Logic (1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Humanities is looking for a PhD candidate. Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2222 - € 2840 per maand
This PhD position is embedded in the Research Project “Optimal Proofs”, funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research and led by Dr. Rosalie Iemhoff, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Utrecht University. The project in mathematical and philosophical logic is concerned with formalisation in general and proof systems as a form of formalisation in particular. Its mathematical aim is to develop methods to describe the possible proof systems of a given logic and establish, given various criteria of optimality, what the optimal proof systems of the logic are. Its philosophical aim is to develop general criteria for faithful formalisation in logic and to thereby distinguish good formalisations from bad ones. The mathematical part of the project focusses on, but is not necessarily restricted to, the (non)classical logics that occur in computer science, mathematics, and philosophy, while the philosophical part of the project also takes into account domains where formalisation in logic is more rare. The research of the PhD candidate lies within the mathematical part of the project.
Qualifications for the PhD position:
- a Master's degree or equivalent degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or Philosophy specialising in logic;
- proficiency in academic English;
- the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with good organisational and communication skills;
- a keen interest in abstract fundamental research.