Ongeveer 9 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
PhD position in Theoretical/Computational Biophysics (1.0 FTE)
Develop new computational and theoretical methods to uncover the physics of bacterial colony formation and multispecies interactions.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The group Soft Matter, Hydrodynamics, and Biophysics currently offers a 4-year PhD position for the numerical and theoretical modelling of bacterial colony development and dynamics. The aim of the project is to elucidate the role of physical interactions between the bacteria and with their host environment. These interactions can be of different types ranging from mechanical, hydrodynamic, to chemical ones. To achieve this goal, you will develop new agent-based simulations, as well as connect the results of these simulations to simplified theoretical descriptions of colony development.
The project will land within the group of Dr. J. de Graaf, who has significant experience with numerical simulation and hydrodynamic interactions, and will also involve Dr. F. Jafarpour, an expert on theoretically bridging the dynamics of single cells to that of populations. You will have the opportunity to strengthen the connection between these groups and the activities of the Complexity Center in Utrecht, as well as make ties to the Utrecht biology department.
We are looking for a collaborative and dedicated candidate with a Master's degree in theoretical or computational physics (or a related field), and who has:
- a strong background in soft condensed matter theory, statistical physics and/or hydrodynamics, as he or she will assist in problem classes for the Theoretical Physics Master's programme at Utrecht University;
- programming experience (e.g., C, C++, or Fortran) which is essential to the code development required for this project, as is basic understanding of various numerical simulation techniques;
- has excellent communication skills in English, both in speech and in writing.
- A full-time (1.0 FTE) position for 4 years;
- A full-time gross salary ranging from €2,395 per month in the first year and increases to €3,061 per month in the fourth year of employment in scale P;
- Benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- A pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
If you have any questions that you’d like us to answer, please contact Dr. J. de Graaf, email@example.com.
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.