Ongeveer 8 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
PhD position in Theoretical/Computational Physics (1.0 FTE)
Develop new numerical and theoretical methods to uncover the stability of colloidal gels with an outlook to real-world applications.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The group Soft Matter, Hydrodynamics, and Biophysics currently offers a 4-year PhD position for the numerical and theoretical modelling of the friction-induced stabilization of attractive colloidal gels.
The aim of the project is to determine the effect of frictional contacts on the long-term stability of attractive colloidal gels, as formed, e.g. by micro-sized spheres with polymer-induced depletion interactions. This will be done via two routes: (i) Coarse-grained simulations of colloids, their interaction, and the impact of hydrodynamic flow on the structures that they form. This builds upon the research described in , (ii) Development of effective field theories for these processes informed by the simulations. In both cases, a connection with the experiment through existing collaborations will be made.
We are looking for a collaborative and dedicated candidate with a Master's degree in theoretical or computational physics (or a related field), and who has:
- a strong background in soft condensed matter theory, statistical physics and/or hydrodynamics, as he or she will assist in problem classes for the Theoretical Physics Master's programme at Utrecht University;
- programming experience with C or C++ which is essential to the code development required for this project, as is a basic understanding of various numerical simulation techniques;
- excellent communication skills in English, both in speech and in writing.
- A position for 4 years;
- A full-time gross salary ranging from €2,395 per month in the first year and €3,061 per month in the fourth year of employment in scale P;
- Benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- A pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.