Faculty of Psychology and Educational SciencesThe faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences is strong in education and research. The faculty offers …
Research Assistant Social Change for Sustainability (1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Geosciences is looking for a Research Assistant Social Change for Sustainability. Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2640 - € 2763 per maand
We are looking for a motivated Research Assistant to assist with the literature review for the development of a theoretical framework for the analysis of mechanisms of societal transformation to sustainability. The position is funded by a NWO Vidi-funded project ‘Societal transformation to sustainability through the unmaking of capitalism? A comparative study of radical grassroots innovations’, led by Dr. Giuseppe Feola at the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development, Utrecht University.
Modern, capitalist societies engage destructively with the natural environment. Societal transformation to sustainability is urged, but it implies a degree of disruption of capitalist ways of being and doing. Radical grassroots innovations – those that posit a profound cultural, economic, and political transformation of dominant institutions and practices - hold the potential to lead such transformation, but may be constrained by their marginal, local, small-scale character. This project aims to understand to what extent, under what conditions and through what processes radical grassroots innovations unmake modern, capitalist institutions and practices.
This position is an exciting opportunity to engage with theories of transformation to sustainability and to contribute to develop a cutting edge framework to identify and theorize mechanisms of unmaking that are involved in radical grassroots innovations. The Research Assistant will spend most of her/his time searching and critically analyzing Social Science literature for the development of the theoretical framework. It is envisioned that the Research Assistant will co-author one or more academic articles.
We are looking for candidates that meet the following requirements:
- a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, preferably with interdisciplinary orientation;
- familiarity with, and interest in key concepts and theories in the fields of: social change and social movements studies, transformation to sustainability, grassroots innovations for sustainability, political ecology, degrowth, decoloniality, and/or other critical social sciences;
- ability and willingness to work across social science disciplines;
- ability to conduct critical and in-depth literature reviews;
- excellent English communication skills (both written and oral);
- ability to work independently as well as under supervision;
- ability to work under time pressure;
- willingness to learn and curiosity.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for six months. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €2,640 and €2,763 (scale 10 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % per year. We offer a pension scheme, (partly paid) parental leave, collective insurance schemes and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information is available at: working at Utrecht University.