Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Tenure Track Assistant Professor position in Biotherapeutics (1.0 FTE)
Join our multidisciplinary team of scientists to develop the next generation of medicines based on therapeutic proteins and gene therapies.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5826 per maand
Protein and nucleic acid-based therapeutics, a.k.a. biologics or biotherapeutics (BT), constitute a rapidly growing class of drugs characterized by exquisite target specificity for the treatment of a large variety of diseases. Despite their success, the full potential of BT cannot yet be exploited, as the use and production of BT faces several big challenges. First, most BT have difficulties passing cell membranes which severely limit their target space. Finding ways to deliver BT into the cell or into specific organelles would greatly expand the druggable target space in addition to efficiency of current treatments. Second, most therapeutic proteins need frequent injections in order to sustain effective blood concentrations, which is requiring costly medical care and inconvenient for patients. Strategies that could overcome frequent parental administrations would increase patient compliance. Third, currently applied biosynthesis methods are dependent on the use of living cells, making the production process expensive, cumbersome and yielding products with relatively high heterogeneity. Synthetic, or semi-synthetic production methods of complex BT could improve batch-to-batch variability, enable reproducible low-tech and small-scale production of BT at will and improve robustness of the industrial production methods.
As our ideal prospective candidate you have the expertise to tackle one or more of the above described challenges. Your expertise complements the already available expertise in the Pharmaceutics group which enables a new research line focusing on protein engineering and/or formulation. In addition, we will encourage you to setup research collaborations between the divisions within the department of Pharmaceutical Sciences as well as with relevant research groups at the faculty of science, UU and UMCU /Veterinary Medicine/Hubrecht Institute/Regenerative Medicine Utrecht to strengthen the role of our division within Utrecht Life Sciences. Besides research (0.7 FTE) you will be actively involved in the teaching of bachelor and master students in the Pharmacy curriculum (0.3 FTE). Furthermore, you will contribute to the teaching activities within the Graduate School of Life Sciences and within the faculty of Science.
To excel in this role, you:
- hold a PhD in a field that is closely related to this position (pharmaceutical biotechnology, applied molecular biology, protein engineering, pharmaceutics, cell biology);
- have an outstanding track record and potential in your field of expertise;
- have potential to attract research funding;
- are willing to obtain the University Teaching Qualification and further develop your teaching skills;
- have experience in and are enthusiastic about coaching (BSc, MSc and PhD) students;
- have excellent communication skills and bring an active approach in pursuing outreach activities to promote your research.
You need to have a doctorate degree with proven track record in protein engineering, pharmaceutical formulation of biotherapeutics or bioprocessing of pharmaceutical proteins with a strong desire to bring novel biotherapeutics into the clinic.
- a full-time tenure track position for 5 years, which will be subject to a mid-term evaluation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term evaluation. When evaluations are positive after 5 years, the position becomes permanent;
- a full-time gross salary ranging from €3,746 to €5,826 in scale 11/12 at the level of Assistant Professor;
- access to state-of-the-art labs and equipment;
- inspiring colleagues and a stimulating working environment;
- support by a dedicated team of skilled technicians;
- full support to integrate into the Dutch way of life (if applicable), including language course(s) and a bicycle scheme a.o.;
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao).
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This way we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
If you have any questions about this position that you’d like us to answer, please contact Professor Enrico Mastrobattista via email@example.com or +31 6 22736567.
Do you have questions about the application procedure? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.