3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Three Postdoc positions “Beyond Sharia: The Role of Sufism in Shaping Islam” (3 years, 0.8 FTE)
The Faculty of Humanities is looking for 3 Postdoc positions “Beyond Sharia: The Role of Sufism in Shaping Islam”. Are you interested?Apply
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 32 uur
- € 3548 - € 3807 per maand
Beyond Sharia: The Role of Sufism in Shaping Islam (chaired by Prof. Asghar Seyed-Gohrab) examines the emergence, flourishing and lasting appeal of non-conformist movements in Islamic intellectual history from the tenth century to the present day, investigating how Islamic antinomian movements consolidated Islam in a vast region from the Balkans to Bengal, while offering methods of self-reflection that allowed for critical thinking within Islamic streams of thought. By examining how generations of Islamic mystics and intellectuals in the Persianate world challenged, redefined or rejected Islamic canonical law in their poetic, artistic, philosophical and political writings and teachings, this project generates significant new insights into transgression in Islam.
Please indicate for which of the following projects you would like to apply:
- The PostDoc will investigate the life and legacy of an Anatolian deviant dervish called Kaygusuz Abdal as an example of how such dervishes turned not only against Islamic and civil laws, but also against Persian and Arabic as the languages of the elite, by writing in a Turkic language, contributing to vernacular religious literature.
- The PostDoc will study the relationship between medieval antinomian ideas and their impact on the rise of secular intellectual philosophy in the Middle East, particularly the Iranian world, introducing a secularist view of Islam, a worldly orientation and a rationalising approach to religion.
- The PostDoc candidate will investigate the femininity and the feminisation of the masculine in Islamic mysticism, examining the homosexual aspects of the antinomian mystics and their negotiations with gender norms.
Additional information can be found on the website of the project: https://islamicpiety.sites.uu.nl
The successful candidates will have:
- a PhD degree either in Persian studies, Islamic Studies, Arabic Studies, or religious studies by the time of appointment;
- a record (appropriate to career stage) of publications that demonstrates the ability to conduct research which is internationally recognized as contributing to the field;
- the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with good organizational and communication skills;
- creativity and is innovative in her/his work;
- expertise in working with primary Persian and Arabic or Ottoman Turkish primary sources;
- proficiency in spoken and written English.
This is an appointment (0,8 FTE) for the duration of 1 year. Upon good performance, the contract will be extended for another two years (for a total of three years) The minimum gross salary is € 3,548 and the maximum gross salary is € 3,807 (scale 10 of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities) per month, at a full-time employment.
Besides that, you will receive a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. Utrecht University also has an appealing package of terms of employment, including the choice for a good balance between work and private (a good arrangement for leave, among other things), possibilities for development and an excellent pension scheme. More information on working at Utrecht University can be found here.