Two Assistant Professor positions: Cognitive Perspectives on Artificial Intelligence (0.8 – 1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is looking for two assistant professors to study and teach cognitive and social aspects of AI. Are you interested? Then read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 5656 per maand
As an Assistant Professor you will be employed in the Department of Psychology of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Utrecht University. Depending on expertise and interest, one candidate will be accommodated in the chair of Prof. Stefan van der Stigchel (entitled “Cognitive Psychology”), and one in the chair of Prof. Henk Aarts (entitled “Social Cognition and Goal-directed Behaviour”).
The position involves 60% on teaching activities and 40% on research time. The core tasks will include:
- contributing to the teaching mainly in aforementioned AI programmes by independently setting up courses (e.g. developing a bachelor level course on machine learning, affective computing, multi-agent learning) and student research projects;
- developing, carrying out and supervising research within the scope of the research programme. The candidate is preferably experienced in cognitive modelling of human perception and/or cognition;
- contributing to the acquisition of substantial external research funding for the benefit of the research programme.
We are looking for two candidates who have a profile that fits well with the programme of studying functional and social features of AI in human perception and cognition. Candidates should:
- hold a PhD degree in the field of Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Neuroscience, Experimental, Cognitive or Social Psychology, or a similar field;
- have an excellent research track record in application of, or methodological development in machine learning, computational modelling or related AI methods based on cognitive sciences;
- have experiences with, or interest in studying cognitive and social aspects of AI;
- have scientific creativity and productivity, as evident in recent publications in (international) peer-reviewed journals;
- have the ability - and preferably experience with - to acquire research funding;
- have an affinity with teaching along with proven and excellent teaching skills;
- have experience in co-developing and co-coordinating academic courses;
- be able to provide inspiring lectures, with an eye for the modernisation of teaching methods, and be able to apply personal research expertise to teaching, as evidenced by positive teaching assessments;
- hold a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) or is willing to acquire this qualification in the near future;
- be fluent in spoken and written English and willing to learn Dutch; fluency in Dutch will weigh positively to facilitate teaching and interacting with bachelor students;
- be effective and efficient, able to work within a team and think conceptually.
We offer a position (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) for five years in an international working environment, but following a positive evaluation, they are expected to become permanent. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,637 and €5,656 (scale 11/12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment.
Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). Here you'll find more information about working at Utrecht University.