Ongeveer 22 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
2 Assistant professors in New Media and Digital Culture
The department of Media Studies, new media and digital culture team, of the Faculty of Humanities is looking for 2 assistant professors. The ideal …
- Kloveniersburgwal, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 5656 per maand
The department of Media Studies, new media and digital culture team, of the Faculty of Humanities is looking for 2 assistant professors. The ideal candidates would have considerable knowledge of the study of New Media and Digital Culture in the humanities, especially in the areas of digital methods and critical internet culture. He or she will also have demonstrable affinity with the areas of media arts, media history, media theory and social media critique. Up-to-date Internet skills are essential, as is current knowledge of digital culture as evidenced by active participation in online culture and digital media scholarship. Practical experience in working analytically with online platforms (e.g., Wikipedia, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube) and web-based applications and tools (e.g., social media analytics) is highly desirable.
The new media and digital culture team is part of the Media Studies department and concerns itself with research strategies for the critical study of Internet culture. The Assistant Professors will teach on both the bachelor's and master's degree levels, in courses concerned with such topics as data journalism, media theory, new media practice, new media research methods, media history as well as contemporary themes in digital culture. The Assistant Professors may also teach more general courses in Media Studies on a BA level, in the program of Media and Information.
Candidates for the position also should have a demonstrable new media research agenda as well as a track record in academic publishing. The research agenda should contribute to the one or more of the pillars of new media scholarship at the Media Studies department, comprising the study of digital research methods and critical internet culture, including platform and software studies as well as web vernaculars, history of digital cultures and the natively digital. A strong background in media theory is required. The successful candidates are expected to become affiliates of the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA).
- Capacity to work in multi-disciplinary teams of information designers, programmers and new media analysts, evidenced by e.g. leading a project at a Digital Methods Summer or Winter School;
- relevant PhD degree, or PhD defense date scheduled before start of contract, preferably in the humanities;
- familiarity with software for data analysis;
- experience in research and excellent research skills, evidenced by publications in renowned international academic journals / edited volumes;
- ability to secure external research funding;
- several years of teaching experience at the university level and demonstrable didactic abilities and / or training, evidenced by an educational portfolio;
- experience in an academic position where research and teaching are combined;
- affinity with the use of ICTs in academic education;
- capable of functioning at all levels in more than one programme of study;
- organisational experience and skills;
- reliable team worker;
- thorough knowledge of Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers are requested to achieve competency in Dutch within two years.
1. One full-time 2-year contract. Following a positive assessment after 2 years the appointment will become permanent.
2. One full time 1-year contract. Following a positive assessment after 1 year the contract will be extended by another 2 years.
The candidate that best matches the Requirements will be offered position 1. The second best candidate will be offered position 2.
Salary will be in accordance with Dutch academic salary table, including a pension scheme, and range between €3,637 [level 11] to €5,656 [level 12] [based on full-time employment gross per month, dependent on experience and track record of the candidate. A temporary reduction in income tax (equal to 30 % of taxable salary) may apply to non-Dutch candidates. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
For more information you may contact:
You may apply using the link top right.