During this project you will develop and exploit an experimental setup able to measure the spatial diffusion of photo-excited electron-hole pairs (excitons) …
5 PhD candidates in Artificial Intelligence for Retail
The Informatics Institute of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) invites applications for five PhD candidates for four years. The positions are part of AIRLab, …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 2266 - € 2897 per maand
The Informatics Institute of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) invites applications for five PhD candidates for four years. The positions are part of AIRLab, the Artificial Intelligence for Retail Lab, a joint research lab between Ahold Delhaize and the Innovation Center for Artificial Intelligence.ct description
Artificial intelligence, and in particular machine learning, has become a driving force behind many breakthroughs. Ahold Delhaize, a multinational retail organization, and the Innovation Center for AI, which is headquartered at the University of Amsterdam, have started a joint research lab in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, to join the best of academic and industrial research. The lab focuses on fundamental research in artificial intelligence for retail. The lab will host 17 PhD positions and research assistants. It is led by a director who is currently being hired and Prof. Maarten de Rijke (information retrieval). One of the perks of the program is an exchange program where each lab member will work on site at one of the Ahold Delhaize R&D sites.
We are currently looking for five PhD candidates to join AIRLab. As a PhD candidate you will perform cutting edge research in AIRLab in the field of AI, with a special focus on content analysis for e-commerce, personalization, or supply chain management. The following PhD positions are available for you to choose from, each with its own research agenda.
See the attachment for a full project and job description.
- Conduct AI research with a special focus on content-analysis for retail, personalization, or supply chain management;
- publish in top tier conferences and journals in relevant areas;
- provide teaching assistance (10%);
- complete a PhD thesis.
The appointment will be full-time (38 hours a week) for a period of four years (initial employment is 18 months). Periodic evaluations will be held after 9 and 14 months, and upon positive evaluation, the appointment will be extended to a total of 48 months. The appointment must lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). We will draft an educational plan that includes attendance of courses, summer and/or winter schools, and national and international meetings. You are also expected to assist in teaching of undergraduate students.
The salary is in accordance with the university regulations for academic personnel. The salary will range from €2,266 (first year) up to a maximum of €2,897 (last year) before tax per month (scale P) based on a full-time appointment. There are also secondary benefits, such as 8% holiday allowance per year and the end of year allowance of 8.3%. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
Among other things, we offer:
- competitive pay and excellent benefits;
- extremely friendly working environment;
- high-level of interaction;
- international environment (10+ nationalities in the group);
- access to high-end computing facilities (cluster with 4,000+ cores);
- one of the best AI ecosystems on the planet;
- new building located near the city center (10 minutes by bicycle) of one of Europe’s most beautiful and lively cities.
Since Amsterdam is a very international city where almost everybody speaks and understands English, candidates need not be afraid of the language barrier.
Location: Your position is primarily based at the Informatics Institute, University of Amsterdam. You will spend part of your time in the R&D environments of Ahold Delhaize.
For further information you may contact:
Prof. Maarten de Rijke
T: +31 (0)20 525 5358
You may only submit your application online using this link. We will accept applications until 16 July 2018. To process your application immediately, please quote vacancy number 18-378. The committee does not guarantee that it will consider late or incomplete applications.
In the research statement (see below) you should clearly describe your research vision in relation to the topics that we described, as well as a clear statement which would be your direction of research.
In your application you should clearly indicate which of the five positions it is that you are applying for.
You should also include the following information, in separate PDF files (not zipped), using surname, initials and a self-evident word as file names, e.g. , Smith J CV:
- a curriculum vitae (including an url allowing download of pdf of MSc. thesis -- if relevant);
- a letter of motivation (at most 1 page) explaining why you are interested in this position;
- a research statement (at most 2 pages), explaining your research interests and how you think they can be related to the topics mentioned in the Job description above;
- a list of all university courses taken, including a transcript of grades;
- the name and contact details (including email address) of three referees who can provide details about your profile (one of whom should be the main supervisor of your Master thesis).