Assistant Professor in Model-Based AI
Are you a passionate teacher and ambitious researcher working on fundamental questions in AI? Are you looking for a faculty position in a stimulating academic …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3746 - € 5127 per maand
Are you a passionate teacher and ambitious researcher working on fundamental questions in AI? Are you looking for a faculty position in a stimulating academic environment? Then please read on.
Modern applications of AI in high-stakes domains such as health, law, or security call for solutions that can offer adequate levels of safety, accountability, transparency, responsibility, trustworthiness, and explainability. Such applications often are knowledge-intensive and depend on provably correct system behaviour. Requirements such as these necessitate the development of what in recent years have come to be known as model-based approaches to AI.
We are looking for a specialist in an area of model-based AI such as, for example, SAT solving, constraint programming, planning and scheduling, answer set programming, description logics, ontology engineering, or computer-aided verification. We hope that you will be able to connect with the long and proud research tradition in logic at the ILLC, while also reaching out to the broader AI research community in Amsterdam.
What are you going to do
As Assistant Professor, you will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- to develop an independent line of research in your area of expertise, resulting in contributions published in leading international venues;
- to eventually build up and coordinate a research team and supervise PhD candidates;
- to teach in AI and Computer Science, in programmes such as the BSc Computer Science, the BSc Artificial Intelligence, the MSc Artificial Intelligence, and the MSc Logic;
- to supervise Bachelor's and Master's students;
- to initiate and contribute to proposals for raising external funding;
- to contribute to research valorisation and outreach activities;
- to contribute to management tasks in education and research at the institute.
What do we require
We are looking for an individual who is enthusiastic about both research and teaching. Since the position is partly financed from funds ear-marked for improving the quality of university education, it comes with a significant teaching component (a research:teaching ratio of 50:50, rather than the usual 60:40 at the ILLC).
- a PhD in Computer Science or a related discipline and some research experience at the postdoctoral level;
- excellent research skills, as evidenced by a track record of publications in renowned conference proceedings and journals;
- teaching experience at university level and demonstrable didactic abilities;
- commitment to supervising and mentoring students at all levels;
- willingness to acquire the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification for academic staff (BKO) within two years of your appointment;
- the ability to communicate research findings to a broad audience;
- willingness and ability to perform relevant administrative and organisational tasks;
- team spirit and a strong affinity with the ILLC’s interdisciplinary environment;
- readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation, within and beyond the institute;
- excellent communication and social skills;
- an excellent command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language.
We offer a temporary employment contract for a period of two years, preferably starting in March 2022, with the intention of converting it into a permanent contract after a positive assessment.
The gross monthly salary will range from €3,746 to €5,127 (scale 11), depending on relevant prior experience (assuming you choose a fulltime contract of 38 hours a week). The annual salary will be supplemented with an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the so-called ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities applies.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Then please take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about the institute? Please contact: