Assistant professor in Political Theory
The Department of Political Science of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG) invites applications for a tenure track …
- Nieuwe Achtergracht, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 4660 per maand
The Department of Political Science of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG) invites applications for a tenure track Assistant professor in Political Theory. Candidates should have an excellent track record in research and should be able to teach courses in the field of Political Theory (BA, Master, and Research Master). The applicant’s profile should fit the AISSR research program 'Challenges to Democratic Representation'.
The area of specialization is political theory. In addition, the department has teaching needs in normative international political theory; violence, conflict and just war theory; Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (PPE); social theory; gender and diversity theory; Asian, Islamic, African, Indigenous philosophy, and comparative political theory.
What will you be doing?
- Developing, conducting, and supervising high quality academic research in the field of political theory;
- teaching general and specialist courses in political theory, and in political science more generally;
- having an innovative approach to BA & MA curricular development;
- (participating in) the acquisition of external research funding;
- having a dynamic contribution to the to the research program of the political theory unit of 'Challenges to Democratic Representation' through scholarly publications and participation in national and international research networks and educational initiatives.
- A completed doctoral thesis in Political Philosophy, Political Theory or other relevant fields in the social sciences and humanities;
- an on-going programme of research and publications, focused on international ‘peer reviewed’ journals and/or books published by internationally recognised academic presses;
- broad general knowledge of political science;
- expertise in a subdomain of the field of political theory;
- a willingness to apply for European and Dutch research grants;
- the ability and willingness to provide excellent and inspiring teaching in political science at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- the ability to teach in English at all levels;
- the Dutch basic qualification in higher education (Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs; BKO) certificate, or a willingness to acquire such within three years.
The position concerns a temporary appointment, a tenure track, of 38 hours per week for a term of 36 months. If the candidate proves suitable, barring unforeseen organisational developments and assuming sufficient FTE availability, we intend to offer the candidate a permanent employment contract.Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3,637 and a maximum salary of €4,660 gross per month based on a full-time appointment for a 38-hour working week (in keeping with scale 11 - 12.2), as per the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities). We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary employee benefits, including a generous holiday scheme and year-end bonus. Because we value your continued personal development and professionalisation, we also offer excellent opportunities for study and development.
The successful candidate will begin their project on 1 January 2020.
What else can we offer you?
A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organisation. The social and behavioural sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in an independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterised by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Professor Eric Schliesser, head of the search committee
You may apply by clicking the button on the top right.
Would you like to learn more about working at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)? Visit our website.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature