1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Assistant professor in the Philosophy of Technology
The Department of Philosophy is currently seeking to strengthen her profile in the broad area of the philosophy of technology. Artificial Intelligence, …
- Kloveniersburgwal, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 5656 per maand
The Department of Philosophy is currently seeking to strengthen her profile in the broad area of the philosophy of technology. Artificial Intelligence, smart cities, robotics, or manipulative online practices: the current technological, social, and political transformations on the basis of new information and communication technologies affect almost every part of society and of our daily lives. Whether they concern the future of work, equal access to information and services, the relationship between citizens and democratic government, or between consumers and their technological surroundings: a broad range of ethical and philosophical issues concerning technologies and the ways in which they challenge our self-understanding is at the center of today’s debates.
The ideal candidate for this position will have (1) a strong record of publications in international peer-reviewed journals exemplifying a research focus on the philosophy of technology, or related fields such as the philosophy of Artificial Intelligence as well as (2) a broad philosophical background, that enables her/him to teach a wide variety of courses at both the BA and MA level, including academic skills.
We welcome applications from candidates with a broad knowledge in different philosophical traditions and a research expertise in the philosophy of (recent) technologies and related fields, focusing on contemporary philosophical and/or ethical issues concerning technologies.
Dependent on the research expertise, the new assistant professor will be part of one of the following research institute:
- Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) or
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
The candidate is expected to take an active role in departmental activities, ranging from organizing and attending research seminars, to board memberships and grant applications. Excellent social skills, a deeply collegial attitude, and ability and willingness to take up substantial administrative tasks are particularly welcome.
The teaching package of the successful candidate will include a broad range of courses at all levels, including but not limited to BA electives and MA courses, and supervising BA and MA theses, as well as first year BA tutorials (werkgroepen), depending on the expertise of the candidate, and second year text-based courses with the focus on intensive training of academic skills such as careful and precise close reading, presentation techniques and academic writing. The candidate will thus have demonstrable experience with the type of teaching just indicated, including teaching to diverse student groups from different disciplines.
- PhD in Philosophy already defended at the time of application;
- research publications in international peer-reviewed journals;
- areas of competence: broad philosophical background, one or more areas fitting the departmental expertises, continental and/or analytic traditions;
- areas of specialization: philosophy or ethics of technology, and/or philosophy of artificial intelligence;
- broad teaching experience at BA and MA level;
- expected to teach BA and MA courses from first year tutorials to advanced, research-based, specialised modules, as well as text-based training of academic skills;
- ability to secure external funding;
- a thorough command of Dutch and English. If the candidate's native language is not Dutch, they are expected to be able to use Dutch as a working language within two years but preferably sooner;
- flexibility, readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation and multidisciplinary development (verifiably focused on collaboration with other disciplines);
- amenable to personal and professional development that focuses on broad deployability.
The initial appointment will be on a temporary basis for a period of two years with prospect on a permanent appointment. Subject to satisfactory performance, this temporary contract will be turned into a permanent contract.
The gross monthly salary will range from €3,637 (start scale 11) to €5,656 (end scale 12), based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week). The UFO profile for this position is, dependent on relevant experience, Universitair docent 2 (scale 11) or Universitair docent 1 (scale 12). The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or would you like to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature