Chair in Machine Learning (Full or Associate professor)
The Informatics Institute (IvI) is seeking a candidate to chair IvI’s Machine Learning group (AMLAB) either at Full professor or Associate professor level …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 5160 - € 7921 per maand
The Informatics Institute (IvI) is seeking a candidate to chair IvI’s Machine Learning group (AMLAB) either at Full professor or Associate professor level (depending on qualifications). The candidate is expected to make significant contributions in world-class research and top quality academic teaching, as well as effective contributions to management and organization of the research group and the Informatics Institute.
We expect the new chair to consolidate the leading position AMLAB currently enjoys worldwide, to consolidate the current strengths of the group, such as deep learning and causality and to lead the group to new promising research directions such as (deep) reinforcement learning, privacy preserving Machine Learning and Machine Learning designed for hardware.
AMLAB is part of a world class ecosystem in artificial intelligence, with leading groups in Information Retrieval (Prof. Maarten de Rijke, UvA), Computer Vision (Profs. Cees Snoek and Arnold Smeulders, UvA), 3D Vision (Prof. Theo Gevers, UvA), Knowledge Representation (Prof. Frank van Harmelen, VU), Theory of Machine Learning (Prof. Peter Grunwald, CWI) among others. Moreover, a number of new industry labs have been founded over the past years with 10 or more researchers, such as QUVA lab (Qualcomm-UvA) and Delta lab (Bosch-UvA) as well as a number of smaller labs (SAP, Philips, Microsoft). This AI ecosystem is supported by highly competitive bachelor and master programs in artificial intelligence.
The candidate is expected to sustain the group by acquiring funding from national, international, and industrial sources and actively contribute to exploitation of scientific research, thus contributing to the valorisation duty of the University. Involvement with a startup to commercialize research results is encouraged.
We are looking for a candidate who has the ambition to lead a diverse research group. Someone who inspires the Machine Learning group, represents the group and maintains and further builds on the international academic visibility of the Machine Learning group. Someone who has a talent for, and a clear vision on university teaching and research.
We also expect the new chair to collaborate with the other research groups within IvI and to reach out to other academic disciplines at the Faculty of Science, UvA and beyond. Current collaborations include biology, astronomy (ASTRON) and chemistry and medical imaging (collaborations with AMC, Radboud UMC, Utrecht MC and Cedar Sinai hospital Los Angeles). But we expect a very wide range of possible collaborations beyond these topics including finance, social sciences and humanities, and so on.
The chair in Machine Learning has:
- a PhD in computer science or a related discipline;
- proven ability to engage in cutting-edge research in machine learning;
- demonstrated to be a creative and inspiring scientist with excellent managerial qualities and leadership capabilities;
- documented excellence in research through publications in top international conferences and journals;
- the capability to initiate and organise new research by identifying innovative research themes;
- a strong track record in the acquisition of funded research;
- contacts necessary to initiate national and international partnerships, and is part of an international network;
- experience in valorisation of research;
- proven teaching skills, preferably with a certificate of academic teaching quality (Dutch BKO or equivalent), have excellent didactic qualities and affinity with the content of the Bachelors and Master programs in Artificial Intelligence;
- commitment to stimulating and supervising PhD research;
- willingness and ability to perform administrative, organisational and managerial tasks.
The position will be filled at the level of Associate or Full professor, depending on qualifications. We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university, a permanent tenured appointment and an attractive package of fringe benefits, for instance: generous leave arrangements, application for attractive fiscal arrangements are possible for employees from abroad, attractive retirement benefits, collective health insurance and excellent parental leave packages.
The gross monthly salary of the Associate professor position (UHD1) will be in accordance with the University regulations for academic personnel and will range from €5,160 up to a maximum of €6,567 (salary scale 14), based on a full-time appointment and depending on qualifications, expertise and on the number of years of professional experience.
The gross monthly salary of the Full professor will be in accordance with the University regulations for academic personnel and will range from €5,441 up to a maximum of €7,921 (salary scale HL2), based on a full-time appointment and depending on qualifications, expertise and on the number of years of professional experience.
The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable. There are also secondary benefits, such as 8% holiday allowance per year and the end of year allowance of 8,3%.
You may only submit your application online using this link. We will accept applications until 15 September 2018. To process your application immediately, please quote the vacancy number: 18-393. The committee does not guarantee that it will consider late or incomplete applications.
At this stage of the procedure, please do not send letters of reference or proofs of your academic writing.
Do not send your application to Dr A.D. Pimentel directly.
Applications must include:
- a cover letter and a statement summarizing your motivation (max 1 page);
- your previous research accomplishments and your future research goals (max 2 pages);
- your teaching statement (max 2 pages);
- a curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications, a list of your best three papers;
- the names and contact coordinates (email and telephone numbers) of three references.
Include the months (not just years) in your CV when referring to your education and work experience.
The closing date for applications is 15 November 2018. The selection process commences immediately and continues until a suitable candidate is found.