Five PhD candidates in artificial intelligence for science
Are you passionate about AI and science? We are seeking 5 PhD candidates for our new AI4Science initiative, a multidisciplinary collaboration of various …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
Are you passionate about AI and science? We are seeking 5 PhD candidates for our new AI4Science initiative, a multidisciplinary collaboration of various research institutes at the Faculty of Science of the University of Amsterdam (the Netherlands). Its aim is to analyze complex scientific data sets by applying data-driven techniques based on recent breakthroughs in machine learning, combined with model-driven approaches that can deal with the specifics of scientific data. It will start off with the following five research projects, each one dealing with the fundamental question of how to recognize and extract the scientifically important information from a large stream of noisy data:
- classifying radio phenomena in real time with streaming machine learning (API);
- unraveling chemical structure-property relationships from two-dimensional liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry (HIMS);
- graphical models to understand and predict bird migration in Europe (IBED);
- accelerating gravitational wave signal discoveries and analyses with deep learning (IoP);
- causal discovery to reveal complex gene regulation networks from vast transcriptome data sets (SILS).
The AI4Science Lab will be part of the Amsterdam Machine Learning Lab (AMLab), one of the larger groups within the Informatics Institute (IvI). Each project will be done in collaboration with experts from the respective scientific domain from various research institutes: the Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API), the Van ‘t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences (HIMS), the Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED), the Institute of Physics (IOP), the Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences (SILS).
What are you going to do?
You are going to carry out the AI research and development in one of the five projects mentioned above, spending half of the time in the AI4Science lab and half of the time in the group of the domain-specific institute. Your daily supervisor within the AI4Science lab will be dr. Patrick Forré of AMLab. In addition, you will be co-supervised by a scientific expert from the relevant domain-specific institute. Each project also has two promotors, one from the Informatics Institute (prof. dr. Max Welling or dr. Joris Mooij) and one from the domain-specific institute. More details on the five research projects can be found on the AI4Science webpage.
Your tasks will be to:
- apply and develop AI methods for scientific data analysis within the context of one of the five research projects;
- complete and defend a PhD thesis within the official appointment duration of four years;
- collaborate with other AI4Science researchers;
- regularly present intermediate research results at international conferences and workshops, and publish them in proceedings and journals;
- assist in relevant teaching activities.
What do we require?
- A Master's degree in artificial intelligence, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology or closely related area;
- a strong background in AI / machine learning / data science;
- a strong interest in physics, astronomy, chemistry or biology;
- excellent mathematical skills (especially in probability theory and statistics, calculus, and linear algebra);
- excellent programming skills (preferably in at least one of the following languages: C++, Python, R);
- strong communication, presentation and writing skills and excellent command of English;
- commitment, perseverance and a cooperative attitude;
- you are highly motivated and creative, and enjoy working in a multidisciplinary research environment.
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week, preferably starting at 1 January 2020 for the duration of 48 months. Initial employment is 18 months and after a positive evaluation, the appointment will be extended further with 30 months and should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). You will get a customized Training and Supervision Plan, that will be evaluated every year.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €2.325 to €2.972 (scale P) gross per month, based on fulltime (38 hours a week), exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
T: + 31 (0)20 5257519