Full professor position in AI and Health
The UvA’s Faculty of Science has the opportunity to launch a major recruitment campaign called ‘Connecting Science’ in the areas of Physics, …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5582 - € 8127 per maand
The UvA’s Faculty of Science has the opportunity to launch a major recruitment campaign called ‘Connecting Science’ in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer science. Our ambition is to attract top talent from all over the world to tenure-track positions in a wide range of exciting scientific directions. We offer a vibrant environment and excellent conditions for research, tightly connected to challenging educational programmes.
We are looking for ambitious and motivated scientists to connect different science disciplines. Our goal is to have a maximal impact on science and society.
What are you going to do?
The digital revolution in healthcare and the unprecedented successes in artificial intelligence and machine learning open up many new opportunities for predictive modelling in diagnosis, prognosis, and prevention using unstructured data sources such as images, signals, documents, and behavioral data, as well as structured demographic data and medical domain knowledge captured in formal representations. The Informatics Institute of the University of Amsterdam has world class research in machine learning, information retrieval, computer vision, computational science, data engineering, and data exchange which are all ingredients for successful solutions in predictive modeling for health. Yet these are isolated efforts and none has its main focus on health. The proposed chair in “AI and Health” is positioned to bring those fields together and establish a research group with a focus on the use and development of AI techniques in healthcare.
You are expected to:
- help build an AI and health ecosystem in Amsterdam;
- set up a successful research line in AI and Health, to write high impact scientific publications, to present your work at leading conferences, and to supervise PhD students;
- with your research group, carry responsibility for and contribute to our education programs, including developing a track/new courses on health informatics and supervision of undergraduate and graduate students. 30% of your time will be spend on teaching related tasks;
- acquire external funding at NWO and EU, but also by engaging with industry. A very successful formula of industry labs has been developed. You are expected to build on this success;
- transfer research results to industry and society and engage with the media;
- foster, strengthen and seek collaborations with other research groups, industrial partners, the City of Amsterdam, the Amsterdam University Medical Centers, the Netherlands Cancer Institute and the European Medicines Agency;
- contribute to program committees and the implementation of strategic decisions at the Informatics Institute.
What do we require?
- A relevant background and from there focus on the domain of AI and Health, or to have a strong background in Health Informatics and strengthen it by researching and integrating innovative AI techniques;
- a strong research vision and a track record of engagement within your department and across the wider computer science or scientific community;
- an excellent track record of publications and research grant acquisition;
- a keen interest in pursuing excellence in teaching and in supervising undergraduate and graduate students, witnessed by positive evaluations;
- fluency in English, both written and spoken;
- being able to teach in Dutch within two years after appointment.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €5,582 to €8,127 (scale H2) gross per month for a full professor, based on fulltime (38 hours a week), exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 % end-of-year bonus.
A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
Prof. Cees Snoek
T: +31 (0)20 525 7528