Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - VU - Amsterdam
Full professor position in Discrete Mathematics
The UvA’s Faculty of Science is launching a major recruitment campaign called ‘Connecting Science’ in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5582 - € 9812 per maand
The UvA’s Faculty of Science is launching a major recruitment campaign called ‘Connecting Science’ in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Our ambition is to attract top talent from all over the world to a large number of newly created faculty positions in a wide range of exciting scientific directions. We offer a stimulating environment and excellent conditions for research, tightly connected to challenging educational programmes.
We are looking for ambitious and motivated scientists to connect different scientific disciplines. Our goal is to have a maximal impact on science and society.
Discrete mathematics and combinatorial optimization are key areas in mathematics with ample applications in a broad array of decision making problems appearing in e.g. operations research and machine learning. It adjoins (and partially overlaps with) areas such as algorithmics, computational complexity theory, and graph theory. At the same time, there are (partially recently developed) connections with e.g. probability theory, representation theory and complex dynamic systems.
Discrete mathematics and combinatorial optimization play a pivotal role in the Gravitation programme NETWORKS. One of the key ambitions of this programme is to develop algorithms and techniques for networks in an inherently stochastic and dynamic context, so as to address real world network problems ranging from air traffic control to understanding the human brain. Discrete mathematics and combinatorial optimization are popular topics among students at the University of Amsterdam. Recently a substantial investment in discrete mathematics has been made at KdVI, with the appointments of several young staff members. We are now searching for a leading expert to further develop our currently strong position in this area.
Embedding of the position
You will be embedded in the research programme Algebra, Geometry and Mathematical Physics. The position complements existing expertise and is closely aligned with our Stochastics group, especially through the Gravitation programme NETWORKS. In addition, there are strong ties with related groups in the Netherlands through the national research cluster DIAMANT. Regarding education (both at the master and PhD level) there is a close connection with LNMB (the national network for the mathematics of operations research) and Mastermath.
You are expected to:
- shape our discrete mathematics and combinatorial optimization research programme, to publish in high-level international journals, to present your work at leading conferences, and to supervise PhD students;
- with your research group, carry responsibility for and to take part in teaching efforts of our programmes in discrete mathematics and combinatorial optimization, including supervision of undergraduate and graduate students, and to teach in the national master programme;
- strengthen the connections between AMGP research programme and the Stochastics progamme at the KdVI, and to take part in the research activities of the DIAMANT cluster;
- acquire external funding;
- foster collaborations with other institutes and/or companies, and to contribute to (joint) research projects;
- contribute to valorisation of mathematical research.
What do we require?
- A strong research vision and a track record of engagement within your department and across the wider mathematical or scientific community;
- an excellent track record of publications and research grant acquisition;
- a keen interest in pursuing excellence in teaching and in supervising undergraduate and graduate students, witnessed by positive evaluations;
- fluency in English, both written and spoken;
- being able to teach in Dutch within two years after appointment.
Although the vacancy is for a full professor, the position is also open for promising candidates on an associate professorship (UHD) level. In that case a tenure track position leading to a full professorship will be offered. The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €5.582 to €9.812 (scale H2-H1) gross per month for a full professor, the salary for the Associate professor position (UHD) will be €5.039 to €6.738 (scale 13-14) gross per month, based on fulltime (38 hours a week), exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 % end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
Prof. Eric Opdam
T: + 31 (0)20 525 5205