Lecturer in East European Studies
European Studies of the Faculty of Humanities has a vacancy for a Lecturer in East European Studies. A fixed-term, two-year appointment in East European …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 uur
- € 3475 - € 4757 per maand
A fixed-term, two-year appointment in East European Studies, with a background in European Studies, (East) European history, politics, international relations or culture, to carry out teaching duties in East European Studies in the core undergraduate European Studies programme for the academic years 2018-19 and 2019-20. The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive knowledge of 20th century Russian and East European history and are able to teach lectures and tutorial groups on the following courses: The Other Europe, Russian and Soviet History, The trials of Communism in Eastern Europe, and more advanced courses in the Major East European Studies and general European studies courses. Incidental teaching in the MA is also expected.
- The development, coordination and provision of teaching in English and preferably Dutch, in the BA and MA programmes, in the area of expertise;
- supervising BA and MA theses and coaching students;
- an active contribution to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programmes, regarding didactics and the contents of the programmes, and their evaluation;
- keeping track of relevant scholarship and integrate new insights into teaching;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out departmental administrative tasks as directed.
We expect you to have a relevant background in the field of teaching and a proven interest in European Studies, preferably with experience of working in an interdisciplinary environment. We will consider interest and experience with interdisciplinary research and teaching an advantage.
- PhD in a relevant discipline;
- solid experience of different forms and levels of delivering university teaching, at BA level, including thesis supervision;
- the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO, or equivalent), or willingness to acquire this within a relatively short time-frame;
- experience of digital and audiovisual teaching facilities; affinity with ICT in university teaching;
- a good team worker and versatile at all levels, capable of multidisciplinary co-operation;
- good organizational experience and skills;
- good command of English and willing to learn Dutch; (to become) able to teach in both languages.
The appointment will be temporary for two years and will start on 1 August or 1 September 2018. The UFO profile for this position is Docent 3 (scale 11).
The gross monthly salary will range from €3,475 to €4,757 (scale 11), based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week). The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
For further information, you may contact:
Professor Michael Wintle
T: +31 (0)20 525 2280
Your application should include a full academic CV and letter of motivation. Please submit your complete application no later than 24 May 2018 using this link.
We will not take paper versions of your resume and cover letter into consideration.
Interviews and possibly a trial lecture/seminar will be held in the weeks between 4 and 22 June 2018.